Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello, im really struggling with extreme spaciness and feel

Customer Question

Hello, im really struggling with extreme spaciness and feel like im not alive. Ive had lots of blood tests and balance tests etc and doctor cant find anything wrong.Its really affecting my life as really struggling to get through each day and am on the sick from work as cant even do that. Am i going mad? Im convinced im dying
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I think I have helped you before.

Dr. David :

it sounds like you still have bad anxiety.

Dr. David :

you are not going to die. I promise.

Dr. David :

guaranteed.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Yeh im struggling, can we chat?
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : I just know im dying
Dr. David :

I am at work currently.

Dr. David :

I know.

Dr. David :

but you haven't died yet since I have been talking to you.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : But it feels like its defo going to happen now
Dr. David :

that is your anxiety.

Dr. David :

your valium dose is not enough.

Dr. David :

2mg twice a day is not enough for you.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Can you really 100% guarantee me this is nothing else?
Dr. David :

yes.

Dr. David :

I have been guaranteeing it for the last 5 days.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : I know but i can feel it happening
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : is there any possible illness this spaciness could be?
Dr. David :

no

Dr. David :

only excessive anxiety.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : But i feel so so terrible. Can anxiety do this to me? I seriously feel like im dying im so so sure
Dr. David :

you have been saying that for 5 days now.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : I know but what if its slowly happeninh?
Dr. David :

this is your anxiety.

Dr. David :

there is nothing slowly happening.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : I feel like my brain is shutting down. I feel like im not alive at all like im slipping away and im nearly dead
Dr. David :

this is your anxiety disorder.

Dr. David :

you need more dose on your medications.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Could the sertraline make me feel worse?
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Ive never been this bad ever
Dr. David :

it might not be the right drug for you.

Dr. David :

you have to give it 4-6 weeks at the new dose to see

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Ive been on the new dose for over 4 weeks now and ive never been worse
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : i forced myself to work today 8-12 but dont feel better for it
Dr. David :

then you should return to your GP and tell them you feel worse

Dr. David :

you might need to taper off of the sertraline and try another medication.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Im there on wednesday, is there no medication for spaciness to reduce it?
Dr. David :

no

Dr. David :

what you need is to try another treatment for your excessive anxiety.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Would no anti- dizzy meds work or anything?
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Theres got to be something to take this away
Dr. David :

you can try antidizziness medications

Dr. David :

like dramamine

Dr. David :

or meclizine.

Dr. David :

they could help

Dr. David :

or not.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Could you buy these or can you only get them from doctors?
Dr. David :

in the UK you might be able to find both over the counter.

Dr. David :

definitely the dramamine.

Dr. David :

the meclizine, I'm not sure about, possibly over the counter.

Dr. David :

ask the phrarmacist at the drug store.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Yeh thats what ill do.
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Are you sure i dont have a brain tumour or cancer or anything serious?
Dr. David :

yes, I am sure

Dr. David :

you don't have a brain tumor or cancer.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Can you explain how you know for certain?
Dr. David :

because I am an experienced cancer doctor.

Dr. David :

you are too young for cancer.

Dr. David :

and your anxiety disorder is more likely to be causing your symptoms.

Dr. David :

my cancer patients who have brain tumors don't tell me they are worried they are going to die daily.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Can you not get cancer at any age? Its more likely to be anxiety but id there any possibilty it could be serious?
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Would my tests have shown up if there was?
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : even though they were just simple general tests
Dr. David :

yes, your tests would have showed problems.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : In every serious condition? Do brain tumours show up in blood tests?
Dr. David :

I am having a hard time helping you here.

Dr. David :

I'm going to have to opt out to let someone else help you

Dr. David :

I have tried my best to help reassure you.

JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : I know its hard but im just trying to feel confident im not dying
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Please dont stop talking to me just a few more minutes i
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : promise
JACUSTOMER-o6uoe1j2- : Hello doctor, please talk to mr about my issues? I have a few more questions?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
The other expert has opted out.
What question do you have that has not already been answered?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can anxiety cause you to feel confused? I woke up in the night and couldnt work out where i was. I got out of bed and put the light on then realised? This is something i have never experienced before in the time ive had this
Yes, absolutely.

Anxiety can cause virtually every neurologic symptom, including confusion. I have seen many patients that get transient confusion related to anxiety.

It is also true that many people can have a brief period of failure of awareness when they first wake up in the middle of the night, even if there are no other symptoms or medical problems. This appears to be due to the transition of the brain from a sleeping state to an awake state, and is not necessarily a sign of any underlying medical condition.

If this has only occurred the one time, then it is may be unrelated to the anxiety. However, yes, episodes of confusion can be related to anxiety, and if you have recurrent episodes, it is more likely to be related to the anxiety.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou, so this couldnt be a underlying brain tumour or anything serious?
Correct, although this can only be said because of knowledge of the prior evaluation, for all the reasons that we previously discussed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes all my bloods were fine and the balance tests were fine.

Im at my gp tonight so going to have a good talk,

Any questions yoi can think of that i need to ask to help me?
The primary question is to confirm that a neurologic exam was done so that you can be reassured that there is no evidence of any underlying neurologic condition. As we discussed previously, it is more than just a test of balance and an eye exam, but if you ask whether an appropriate neurologic examination was done, that will be the appropriate question. And you can ask this in the context of your fear about a tumour in the brain, so that you are wanting to confirm that there was a normal neurologic exam so that there is no reason for you to be concerned about the possibility of a brain tumour.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, i cant find or remember what you said the neurological exam should of looked like?

Just so when they tell me i know what im looking for?
It is too lengthy to fully explain in this forum, but in summary, it involves tests of cognitive function/mental status, strength, sensation, cranial nerves, reflexes, and coordination. If you ask about a neurologic exam in the context of what I said above, then the doctor will answer you appropriately. If you really want to assess whether he did a proper neurologic exam, then you need to read the chapter on the neurologic exam in any general physical exam book. Also, if you don't trust him to correctly perform an examination, then you should consider seeking a second opinion.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im seeing a new doctor tonight so this will be the 5th doctor ive seen. Ivr seen her a few times before.

How long does a neurological exam normally take?

It varies, as there may need to be more specific testing if certain initial tests are not clear. Since this is a new doctor, though, you cannot ask about the results of the prior neurologic exam, but you can ask for a proper neurologic exam so that you know that you will not need to be concerned about a brain tumour.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeh im going to do that definitely. Everything the doctors do should be in my notes on the computer

Is there anything else to ask about other than the neurological exam? Any other conditions i should check that have been looked at?
Since this is a new doctor, you generally should not ask about a specific condition. You should only describe your symptoms and let the doctor perform an appropriate evaluation for your symptoms.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok ill do that. The problem is the doctor reads the notes before you go in so everything about the anxiety will be there.

Can theu normally tell the signs of something serious?
Yes, they can.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou i just worry cause with all my previous history of anxiety i feel its always put down to this no matter what is wrong.

It really scares me as i feel like im always going to be looked at as the girl with anxiety and everything i have will always be put down to that
This is not a question.

We are approaching two hours of discussion on this post. If you do not have any questions that have not yet been answered, please provide a positive rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok do you think doctors would automatically assume its anxiety without checking me properly because of my history?
If you explain that you are there to be certain that there is no other condition present, then doctors would typically perform a proper evaluation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks ill do that later when i go. I just want some help as this spaciness is unbearable to live with
You're welcome.