DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Both eyes aching

Both eyes have been aching for a couple of weeks. There a little blood shot. I get gritty feeling, a little burning and general pain. I went to the GP who prescribed some gel ointment that I put directly on my eyes, I also have mild headache on the sides of my head.. I don't like the amount of time they've been hurting. I'm thinking of going to a private ophthalmology clinic. Can you help.

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes
See an opthalmologist.
The gel, if antibiotic, have worked if this were from infection.

I would worry about a deeper infection, or glaucoma, or other ocular problem.

Is this what you are asking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its ok I've been to an optician for a full eye test it turns out to be dry eyes. I've been X-rayed and there's nothing there but dry eyes and I'm long sighted.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Dry eyes can be treated, but the treatment from an optician does not look at possible underlying causes

Did they tell you a cause?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The optician made sure the shape of my eyes were correct. Looked at the blood vessels and everything you can see on an x-Ray which were normal. She had a look at the back of my eyes with the bright lamp after putting on the stuff that makes your eye ducts go yellow. I also had an eye pressure test that was normal. I had a peripheral vision test with the dots of light.
The optician said that there was no sign of infection. So instead of the eye gel I have the eye watering agent drops that is apply if my eyes feel dry or sore. They do feel better with the eye drops. Wouldn't any of these tests show if there was a cause.
Do you think I should still see a opthamologist or should I see if eyes improve.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I think you should see your GP
Have a sed rate and ANA panel to make sure you don't have an autoimmune disease called sjogren's, which can cause dry eyes.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.