Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i drink 3/4 glasses of wine every night for many years now

i drink 3/4 glasses of wine every night for many years now i have suffered watery stools for 18 months or more i vomit brownish fluid and have episodes on dizziness please help
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Have you also had an upper GI endoscopy, called an esophagogastroduodenoscopy (or EGD)?
What evaluation has been done of the liver, gallbladder, and pancreas?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my liver is 77 not had gallbladder or pancreas looked at

What test was 77?
Is that the level of a liver enzyme?
Did you also have an upper GI endoscopy?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my blood test on my liver and what is a gi sorry?

You said that you had a sigmoidoscopy and a colonoscopy and another camera test, so I wanted to confirm that you had an endoscopy of the oesophagus, stomach, and duodenum. It would have used an instrument similar to the colonoscopy, but would have been passed into the oesophagus, stomach, and duodenum.

There are actually several different blood tests of the liver. Do you know which blood test was 77?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i had the camera down into my stomach about 2yrs ago. i asked the doctor to check my bloods because of my drinkin because i feel independant on it to go to sleep.if i eat anything in about 20mins i am on the toilet so i try to only eat when i need to and have had to stop going out for meals it gets i bit embaressing.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

If you have had these symptoms for 18 months and the last upper GI endoscopy (camera into the stomach) was 2 years ago, it would be appropriate to consider another upper GI endoscopy. But there is other evaluation that also should be considered.

There are several common GI problems that can be related to alcohol intake. Certainly, liver disease is common and you were correct to request blood tests of the liver, This test was most likely a test of liver enzymes, either AST or ALT. If this is the only liver test abnormality, then that is not bad enough to cause the level of symptoms that you describe. The other common problem that can be related to alcohol intake is inflammation of the stomach (gastritis) or the pancreas (pancreatitis). The upper GI endoscopy discussed above would be the proper test to determine if gastritis is present. The possibility of pancreatitis can be assessed by blood tests of the pancreas, amylase and lipase.

The other common problem that can present as symptoms that are precipitated by meals is gallbladder disease, and this would be true regardless of whether there is regular alcohol intake. Most people with gallbladder disease have gallstones, and the test that is best able to determine the presence of gallstones is a gallbladder ultrasound. A small percentage of people with gallbladder disease do not have gallstones and the best test for this form of gallbladder disease is a hepatobiliary scan, a nuclear radiology test.

Although proper treatment would require the identification of the underlying cause of the symptoms, there are some home interventions that can be considered. It may help to use an over the counter medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as Prilosec or Prevacid, if not already tried. It also is important to be drinking plenty of hydrating fluids. Wine (or other alcoholic beverages) are not hydrating, because the alcohol has a mild diuretic effect. And the vomiting and diarrhoea is causing increased fluid loss that must be replaced. Good hydration may help ease the dizziness that you are experiencing.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.