Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello, im really struggling with extreme spaciness and feel

Customer Question

Hello, im really struggling with extreme spaciness and feel like im not alive. Ive had lots of blood tests and balance tests etc and doctor cant find anything wrong.Its really affecting my life as really struggling to get through each day and am on the sick from work as cant even do that. Am i going mad? Im convinced im dying.

I cant understand how i can feel so terrible and not be ill.

Please help
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
I notice that no other expert has offered to assist you.

I am willing to answer any question that has not yet been answered for you. However, it is not appropriate for that to mean that you can ask any indefinite number of questions or repetitively ask the same questions for 4+ hours, like the first time that I assisted you.

The last time that I tried to clarify expectations and then hold you to that clarification, you considered me to be rude. I am certain that your doctor does not allow you to ask the same questions repetitively in his/her office for several hours. Perhaps you also consider your doctor to be rude, but no doctor should allow a patient/client/customer to continue that pattern.

If you are willing to follow the clarified expectation and ask a single question and any follow-up questions that are necessary to clarify the answer to that question, then I would be glad to assist you. But if you still consider that to be rude, then I will be glad to opt out and you can continue to wait until another expert is willing to assist you.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feel like i want to die. I feel so ill. Nothing is working for me. Is there any other possibility you can think of that could be causing this? Even after being on my medication etc its just getting worse.

Please i just want some help and some answers to why im feeling so terrible. I wont continue for 4 hours and im sorry for calling you rude i just feel like im at a dead end and cant get any answers
You have already been told by several experts, including myself, that this is from anxiety. There is no evidence of any other condition that could be causing this with the negative evaluation that you have had by your doctor. The issue here is not that you can't get any answers; the issue is that you are not willing to believe the answer that is given. As I said before, this is dependent upon a normal physical examination, which we obviously cannot do over the internet, so can only rely on your report that your doctor did not find anything on physical examination.

As we discussed previously, anxiety can cause devastating symptoms. It can cause a person to have symptoms of a stroke (paralysis, blindness, etc.), even though every objective test shows that there is no neurologic deficit.

Also, as we talked about before, the medicine that you are on will take a few weeks to build up in your system at the higher dose, so there has not yet been enough time to see whether this drug will work. But if this drug at this dose is ineffective, you need to continue to work with your doctor to try other medicines to find a regimen that works for you. Some people also may need to see a Psychiatrist for medicine management, at least until a drug regimen that works for you is found. It also would be appropriate to work with a counsellor to address these symptoms.

I also understand that you find it difficult to accept that this is all from anxiety, and as I said before, another option would be for you to seek a second opinion from another doctor that can also perform an evaluation to see if the evaluation of the first doctor is confirmed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeh its very difficult to accept thats what im struggling with. My blood tests were all fine definitely i seen them.

Ive seen about 3-4 different doctors but they all say its anxiety but i think they just look at my notes and say thats what it is.

Ive been on the sertraline for over 6 weeks now and i just feel worse.
I feel numb like ive lost myself.

Do you think i should believe this is anxiety or keep trying to find the answer?
You have not been on the higher dose of the sertraline but for a week when we first discussed it. But if this higher dose is not effective after 3-4 weeks, then you should go back to your doctor.

Yes, I think you should believe its anxiety. If you don't trust that the 3-4 doctors that you have seen have done an appropriate examination, then you can see a new doctor solely for a physical examination to see if the same determination is made.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeh it will be coming up to about 3 weeks for the higher dose about now.

Even though it may not have reached the full benefit yet shouldn't it be making me feel a bit better?

The problem ive got is my notes are on mu file so wherever i go the doctor can see as its nhs.

Many people do not notice any improvement with the antidepressants until the third and fourth weeks. You can decide to see a private doctor outside the NHS if that would provide you reassurance.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Really, i wasnt aware of that. How do you do that?

All i want to know is what is wrong with me. I feel do close to death its unbelievable i just feel like no one can help me and im going to die any minute.

I just dont see the point in living anymore like this
You would need to contact their office directly to make an appointment.

There is a webpage to assist people in finding a private physician close to you at http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/privatespecialists/find-a-doctor/.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks ill look at this. Ive got an appointment with my gp tomorrow. Im just really struggling to believe this is anxiety.

I keep thinking ive got a brain tumour or cancer.

This is the most awful way ive ever felt
Talk to your GP tomorrow about adjustments to the medicine regimen and if you will be reassured, see a private physician for a second opinion.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thankyou, and im sorry again about calling you rude im just so frustrated.

Last question then ill go- you really think i can get better from this and im not going mad?
Absolutely, you can get better from this, but it may require a trial of several different medicines or combinations of medicines to find that regimen that works for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou, i just want to feel comfortable. I dont feel safe anywhere. I just feel so ill im going to die any minute. Its like im not living anymore

Its so scary to feel like this itd unreal

Then you need to do what we discussed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do thanks, XXXXX XXXXX any medication that can help the spacey unreal feeling quickly?
I answered that the other day.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you? I cant remember that. I mean meds i can buy over the counter to help the spaciness
You need to review our first discussion.The medicines mentioned there are prescription medicines. There are no good medicines available over the counter. The sedating antihistamines and valerian root have some mild potency, but the good medicines are only available by prescription.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would they help the spaciness? If i could just improve that i would be absolutely fine
It will probably require the use of the better prescription medicines.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok ill speak to my doctor tomorrow. Any final advice you have for me to help my symptoms?
Just what I mentioned in our first discussion.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Forgot to ask one of my main worries as you know is a brain tumour, would this have been picked up in blood tests or physical exam if i had this?
I'm sorry for the delay, but I had to leave the computer.

I have already answered this question during our second discussion.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok ill have to go back and try find it thanks
You're welcome.