Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My boss shouted at me recently. I felt like my mind was blocked.

My boss shouted at me recently. I felt like my mind was blocked. I couldn't think straight. I had to ask him to call him back, as I couldn't find answers to the questions he was asking. I didn't like how I felt and I think I should be stronger. I feel anxious every time when there is confrontational situation. I can feel my heart working hard, I can feel my cheeks getting hot and red, my breathing gets little difficult. I am not sure if I can change my behaviour and can become little more thick skinned.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

I think this is a natural reaction to a stressful situation

Do you feel like this in less stressful situations?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I don't feel like this in moderate stress. But this was related to work and I feel insecure at my job and in myself in general, although I should not. I believe this is purely fictional feeling I have, i.e. I don't have basis to feel insecure - I know my job, my duties, etc. My performance is good. It's just when I present myself, there seems to be something is happening, which I cannot explain. You see, I moved to UK 6 years ago and there is still this insecurity about feeling out of place.

I see.

Thank you for this reply Azar

I would recommend a medication called a beta blocker

They work for blood pressure but are excellent for situational anxiety

I would suggest metoprolol 25 mg daily

Ask your GP for this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I looked up beta blockers and metoprolol. My heart rate is already not high, so this medicine won't help me.

With all due respect, your analysis of this medication is not correct

It has many uses. High heart rate is just one of them

Instead of rating poorly, you have the opportunity to reply to me and gather more information.

Another use of this medication is to stop surges of adrenaline. This is what happens when you are in these situations. You get a surge of adrenaline that is not appropriate

Beta blockers stop this.

Many people use them for situational stress. for example, I have a patient that is a performer and he takes beta blockers before shows to prevent stage fright. Same thing.

It will help you.

Please provide a positive rating. I appreicate it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about rating, I simply couldn't find reply button and giving not satisfactory rating seemed to be the only way to be able to answer.

Do you suggest me taking this medicine regularly? I mean I cannot know when such a situation will arise and they don't happen regularly. Plus I don't want to take a medicine which is mainly used for high blood pressure - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682864.html.

Yes I know what it is used for but the alternative is something like zoloft that has a lot more side effects

It is safe and can be used safely regularly

The alternative would be counseling as well
I appreciate the ok rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)