Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Ive just had three courses of antibiotics within a month for

I've just had three courses of antibiotics within a month for a bad throat infection - penicillin VK 250, followed by amoxicillin 500 and then penicillin vk 500. Three days into the last course (this Saturday) I started a very heavy period and abdominal cramps, the bleeding was three days severe and is now reducing on day four. I'm 48 and my periods have become a little early/late over the past two years. My last two periods have been quite light and I haven't had cramps for years.

Could the antibiotics have had an affect on my cycle please?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Yes, potentially that many antibiotics over that short a period of time can affect menstrual cycles but so can the infection for which they were given. That said, you still should let your doctor know about this since if you hadn't had either the antibiotics nor the infection, if this happened, it could be just a side effect of early menopause but it could also be a sign of cervical polyps or cervical or uterine cancer