Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a colonoscopy on 2nd October last year they removed a

I had a colonoscopy on 2nd October last year they removed a 1/4 inch polyp which displayed low grade dysplasia. I have had rectal bleeding ever since I have constant cramping and pain in my lower right side also lower back ache I have no control of my bowel movements which are constant throughout the day and night my stools are extremely loose with no shape just mess . I have been waiting to see my consultant who preformed the procedure I have rang to ask when I could be seen but was told my case was not priority. I am at my wits end now also having bouts of dizziness and feeling light headed, I passed out last Thursday don't remember what happened I am so tired I could cry.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
What medicines have been tried to help ease symptoms, particularly the altered bowel movements?
Are you taking any chronic medicines for other medical problems?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no medication my gp just says to wait for an appointment with the consultant but I feel there must be something else causing the bleeding and my other symptoms

I want to make sure that I understand what you meant in your statements. In your original question you said that you have already tried everything possible, but now you are saying that you have not tried any medicines. So I am not sure what you meant by "everything possible." But you certainly have not tried anything for the loose bowel movements other than the dietary changes, correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes that is correct I did take Imodium but it was not prescribed by my doctor and it advised not to be taXXXXX XXXXX term

Did the Imodium help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not really

Thank you for the additional information.

I agree that there must be something else that is causing the bleeding. The loose and frequent bowel movements may be directly due tot he bleeding, as bleeding can be a direct irritant of the bowels and a cathartic, but it is also possible that the underlying cause of the bleeding is also affecting the bowel movements.

Identification of the underlying cause of the bleeding would be done by the consultant, but the consultant's office may only be willing to change the priority if there is a call from your GP. Patients will frequently express that they should be seen more quickly, but a similar call from the GP will typically carry more weight with whomever is setting priorities for appointments.

Until you can be seen, there are several options to consider. The first option is Imodium. It is important to note that the package says that Imodium should not be taXXXXX XXXXX term because it is inappropriate for a person to simply take Imodium without seeing their doctor, either for acute diarrhoea that persists or chronic diarrhoea of unknown cause. However, there is a dosing recommendation for use of Imodium for chronic diarrhoea if the drug is necessary for control of symptoms, which is 2 mg 2-4 times per day as needed. In your case, you are not avoiding an evaluation, so it would be OK to continue the drug. However, if you took the Imodium at the maximum dose (2 mg 4 times per day) and it did not really help, then there is no reason to continue it.

If the Imodium is not effective, then another option to try would be the use of Benadryl (diphenhydramine). The antihistamine action does not really help, but the drug also has an anticholinergic effect, which may cause side effects, but also may help with the loose bowel movements.

The other issue is that you should be increasing the amount of fluid intake. Frequent loose bowel movements can cause a significant loss of fluid from the body, and the fluid loss is likely the cause of the dizziness, lightheadedness, and the episode of passing out that you mention. Drinking extra fluids, preferably 3-4 litres per day, should help improve hydration and ease these symptoms.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.