Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

hi, I have just been referred to a clinic after finding

hi, I have just been referred to a breast clinic after finding a hard painful lump in my left breast. I am 42 and about 2 months ago I noticed a white small spot on my nipple which resembled a milk bleb, my last child was born 10 years ago. I saw my doctor who prescribed antibiotics which didn't work then I was prescribed a cream which after a week still didn't go away. I was told to leave it alone but to visit again if any changes to my breast etc, I stopped the cream and left it alone and less than 2 weeks later it started to slowly disappear and went completely on it own but within a few days my left breast started to feel heavy and sore, then I noticed this lump when I was in the shower. Could this just be coincidental or related in some way. I know you cant diagnose without looking and tests, but wondered if it could possibly be a blocked duct. Kind regards Tracy.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello is the lump tender when pressed?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello are you there? please answer so we can chat

Customer:

the lump is sore when pressed, I feel pain during the day but its not all the time.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well your intuition is very likely to be correct

Dr. P. Jyoti :

all the signs and symptoms point to a clogged duct which has become infected

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this explains the white bleb and also the tender lump

Dr. P. Jyoti :

of course you must be worried about a cancer

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but the fact that it is a tender lump and associated with this symptom in the nipple points to an infected duct

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do not worry about this, it will go away with infections

Dr. P. Jyoti :

of course you will need all the tests to make sure it is a lump and not something else

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you have any questions?

Customer:

would I need antibiotics if there is an infection, or would it just go on its own? I will still go for the tests but thank you for putting my mind at rest.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes you will need antibiotics for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it would be better to take antibiotics and no doubt your doctors will prescribe this for you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

im unsure of what to do, shall I go for all the tests 1st then get the antibiotics after all the tests are finished?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello sorry for the delay

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you must go for the tests first and only then the antibiotics if needed

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

many thanks.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.