NCFamilyDoc
NCFamilyDoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  16 years of private practice in Family Medicine
20880689

Hi, hope you can help. I am a 40 year old male, in shape,

Customer Question

Hi, hope you can help.
I am a 40 year old male, in shape, non smoker, drink at weekends.

Here are my symptoms in order;
Sunday: small irritating pain on sole of right foot, like I stood on a pin or something, only a mild or slight pain though.
Monday: Strong shivers through my veins, all over. Slight headache, high temperature, sore throat. Took paracetamol and felt a little better, shivers and headache stopped, temp went down, sore throat remained.
Tuesday: Woke with headache and sore throat was worse. Took paracetamol and throat lozenges.
This morning: Now have spots on the soles of both my feet! Sore throat remains.

Any ideas what I may have..?
Expert:  NCFamilyDoc replied 3 years ago.

NCFamilyDoc :

NCFamilyDoc :

I am sorry that you are having troubles. I will try to help you.

NCFamilyDoc :

Have you seen any rash/bumps on your palms??

NCFamilyDoc :

Do you have any children that have been ill recently?

NCFamilyDoc :

It sounds to me like you have an illness called Hand/Foot/Mouth syndrome. This is an illness that is caused by a virus, usually the Coxsackie B19 virus. It causes a sore throat, a rash on palms and soles. It is generally self-limited and will resolve on its own in 5 to 7 days. You would be well served to visit your primary care physician to make sure of the diagnosis and to rule out streptococcal pharyngitis (strep throat).

JACUSTOMER-pe63ui1o- :

JACUSTOMER-pe63ui1o- :

Hi, thanks for coming back to me. Nothing at all on my palms, no. I do have two young children who have been ill recently, yes, but not to anything like I have it.

JACUSTOMER-pe63ui1o- :

It's been 5 days now, sore throat is as bad as ever and spots/rash on feet is not improving. Also had a couple appear on my forehead. Been using camomile lotion to help.

NCFamilyDoc :

I'm still leaning towards a viral illness that will get better on its own, but as I wrote earlier, it would be prudent for you to see your PCP to rule out strep throat and to make a more formal diagnosis.