DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello there, im feeling very spaced out and unreal. It feels

Hello there, im feeling very spaced out and unreal. It feels so much like im going to die at any minute. Im really scared incase ive got a brain tumour or incase im going to die.
Please help to establish what this could be?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
I believe that we have already had a discussion of the cause of these symptoms.
What remaining question do you have that has not yet been answered?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went to my gp last night who went over my blood tests with me and said everything is fine.

She said theres no chance of a brain tumour as they dont present in this way and ive had all relevant tests i should have.

Does this sound correct?
Yes, assuming that the physical examination was normal. This is what I have said to you several times.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes my blood tests and others were normal.

Im just a bit scared as one of my friend went to doctors with headaches and they said it was stress and did tests which were all fine.

But shes now in hospital as things got worse etc.

That scares me that that can happen. Do you think they could be wrong with me?
We have already had this discussion. You have now seen multiple doctors and received the same advice. How many doctors do you need to see before you believe that no one has missed anything?

From a medical perspective, there is no reason to suspect that all of these doctors have missed a serious illness.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know to be honest.

I just dont feel like anyone can tell me why i have this spacey "not there feeling"

I wasnt anxious at all before i got it i was the happiest ive ever been and it just hit me one day out of nowhere

You have been told multiple time; you refuse to accept it.

Happiness has got nothing to do with the onset of anxiety. Happy people can have anxiety and people with anxiety can be happy.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its just how long ive had it with no improvements. Its horrific and so debilitating. Despite the medication nothing is getting better.

I just cant function and everyday is a complete blur
As you have been told, that can happen with anxiety.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou, i just want to feel normal thats all and i want to know how to stop this. Everything suggested just isnt working and im getting nowhere. Its very frightening
I have already told you multiple options for management. Please review our first discussion.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ive just reviewed previous notes and i cant see anything i havnt already tried or an currently trying.
Can i just get clarification on one thing. What is this spacey not there feeling and what is it in the brain that causes this? Also i want to know why anxiety causes this but no other normal anxiety symptoms

When we discussed this before, there were several options that had not been tried.
As we have discussed, anxiety can mimic any neurologic symptoms and most physical symptoms. How it manifests in a particular person is how it manifests in that person. There is no explanation why it will manifest with certain symptoms in one person and different symptoms in another person.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just want to know what causes the spaciness medically. Its there 24/7 i just want to know why this is happening to me.

Its so confusing when theres no medical explanation and i feel like im dying
As we have discussed, the anxiety is causing it. Just as when anxiety causes any of a hundred other possible symptoms (shortness of breath, tingling in the hands, chest pain, etc., etc., etc.) when no medical condition is present.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im just so scared and just want to see some end to this. I just want this spaciness to go away.

Why isnt there something you can just take for this to stop it. I just dont understand how i can be left to suffer so bad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just want a solution to get rid of this spaciness, anyone got a solution?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will try to help you.

I read that you are anxious about having some disease like brain tumor. This is likely increasing your anxiety.

We need to remove this fear from within. Best way is to get MRI Brain. This will rule out any tumor or mass in the brain parenchyma. I would also visit a psychiatrist and discuss the issue with him. You may need anti-anxiety medicines to feel better. Yoga, meditation help too.

Wish you well.

Best

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think i do have a brain tumour? Is feeling spacey and unreal a symptom of one?

Ive had bloods done as well as other things like a neuro exam and balance tests and everything was fine.

Im just scared
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I would not think of brain tumor with you as there are no symptoms like - weakness of any part of the body/ loss of consciousness/ severe headache with vomiting and normal neurological examination.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeh i have none of those symptoms.

What do you think this spacey, unreal "not there" feeling is? Its like im so far away from myself and part of me is dead theres just a little bit of me still here and im going to die any minute
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
It is likely due to anxiety.

You will feel better once MRI is done. Also get a psychiatrist evaluation for anti anxiety medicines.

I am sure you will be fine soon.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im already on anti anxiety meds.

My doctor wont authorize a mri as says i dont need one as ive got no symptoms or risks of anything.

If its not anxiety what is the spaciness likely to be?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
You need to be seen by a psychiatrist for detailed evaluation.

You may wish to show a print-out of our conversation to your doctor and I am sure he will help you by ordering the MRI study and psychiatrist referral.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you think theres even a little possibility i could have a tumour? Is that why you think i need an mri?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
No I do not think there is any possibility of you having Brain tumor.

MRI would just give you peace of mind and thus help get rid of symptoms too.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think im dying?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If its not anxiety what do you think it could possibly be?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I have noticed your relist.
Many of us have answered these questions from you.

No one thinks you have a brain tumor.
Your doctors do not think you have a brain tumor.

You have received a lot of advice on what to do, and what to arrange with your doctors.

It seems you have not really been back to your doctor with any of our advice or to clarify these issues with your doctor.

It also seems that you are not receiving effective treatment for your anxiety, which appears to be the main problem here.....

What is the actual problem/?

We can not diagnose you, and we can not tell you what you do or do not have. This is a question and answer site.

Is there something that has not been already asked and answered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The actual problem is walking around with the spaciness day in and day out and nothing working to make it better.

I have been back to my doctor only yesterday infact, but again they cant give me a definite answer of what it is. They just keep saying all your testd are clear it could be anxiety.

All i want is to know what this possibly could be so ive got something to work with to try and get myself better
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I have already answered all of these questions for you on a previous post.

Is there anything new?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its non of the things you said i went though all these with my doctor.

I think im just fighting a losing battle here as no1 has a clue what is wrong
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
If you have done everything I said with your doctor, then let me know the following.

What anti anxiety medicine were you changed to? Since the one you are on is not working, or was the dose increased, what is the plan?

What is your magnesium level?
What is your TSH value?
What is your B12 level
Other B vitamin levels?
Have you had an MRI of the brain? What are the results?
What is your iron level?
Have you had a heavy metal screen and what are the results?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know all the levels to memory but the doctor went through them with me and said they were fine.

An mri the doctor will not authorize as says i do not need this.

My doctor said theres no chance of a problem with heavy metals ( infact said this was silly)

My meds have been increased and im back to the doctor in 2 weeks time to see what to do next.

But i cant function with this spaciness, like i said i feel like im not alive at all
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Sorry
Normal levels are not enough, guidelines have changed.
And what about cognitive behavioral therapy, I also recommended this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean normal is not enough? Surely the doctor will know from the results if they are ok or not.

And ive started the cbt ive actually paid private coz the waiting list is too long on nhs
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No the doctor will not, as there are new guidelines.
I will tell you this again, as I might have told you this before, it is very odd that you would come back without those values, as I gave you specific guidelines in a previous post. I said that magnesium has to be at least 2.5 or higher. [the normal range goes from 1.8 on up so you can be relatively low and be "normal"]. The same goes for TSH. I gave you a specific guideline on that as well. Why would not you not ask your doctor for copies of the labs? You have that right? You clearly do not trust your doctor? So I am a bit confused here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im confused how you say the doctor will not know if something is wrong, that doesnt seem right to me. Surely if guidelines change it wouldnt just be you that would know?

Whats the point of the doctor if they dont know how to read results. My doctor sat and went through everything with me test by test and explained what this meant and how it was ok and meant it was fine

What do you mean by guidelines have changed? Im going to go to my doctor and ask about this
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
First of all.
We can not tell you what is wrong with you.
We are not your doctor, and we can not examine you.

Second>
Any TSH over 2.5 can be considered hypothyroid. Labs and most doctors think that up to 4.5 is still OK. It is not, if you have the type of symptoms you have, 2.5 and over probably needs to be treated.

Magnesium as a relative deficiency is more accurately shown with a red cell magnsesium test, and I am sure your doctor has not ordered this.

Your doctor thinks you have anxiety, but thyroid, magnesium and also B vitamin deficiencies should be ruled out, along with many other functional considerations. A doctor trained in functional medicine would know all of this. There are many more tests that can be run....but I am not here to teach your doctor this.

I suggest you find a functional medicine trained doctor
www.functionalmedicine.com

We have them in the US and the UK in fact.

Otherwise, I suggest you get treatment right away...as you are, for the anxiety.

Anxiety is more prevalent in people with magnesium deficiency, thyroid problems, and problems with the B vitamins, as well as those with gluten problems and heavy metal problems.

I will be glad to go over any lab results you have, if you will bother to get copies.

Find me for new things, not the same old questions please.

I have given you more new infiormation, and to help you, we need positive ratings. Please do not forget that, as we can not help without them.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im going to go to my doctor and look at these posts with them coz im not very happy that your saying they will not know if somethings wrong.

Im feeling very anxious now im very upset and scared now
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
In fact, primary care doctors often are not up on new sub-specialty findings.

Thyroid disease comes under the classification of endocrinology.

I would suggest that if your TSH is above 2.5 and your doctor thinks this is OK, that you ask for a referral to an endocrionologist.

I would suggest that if your magnesium is under 2.5, then you ask for a red cell magnesium test, which can show better if you have a relative deficiency.

It is a big mistake to think that all GPs are trained in nutrition, emerging genetic therapies, nutrigenomics, etc....that is not true.

That is why I have given you the information above, and the referral information. If you call the IFM, they can tell you which doctors in the UK are trained in this.

Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are these things life threatening?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Thryoid only if you let it go for years and then it gets so hypothyroid that it can be life threatening.
If treated before TSH is very high, then you have time.

Magnesium, no, but it causes a lot of problems when you are deficient.

I am again answering new questions, but I have not seen any positive ratings on my work.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would there be any other symptoms with thyroid? Ill give you a posituve rating after this answer
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You can have one symptom or many
Mental sluggishness, not feeling with it.
Slowness in general.
Gaining weight.
Dry skin
Hair loss
Fingernail splitting
Swelling in the ankles.

And many other symptoms, but early on you might just feel odd.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So do you think it isnt at a dangerous level yet? Would there be more symptoms if at life threatening stage?

Ive already had alot of testing done on this as me and my boyfriend are looking to go through ivf as her has low sperm count and motility so they have looked at this in alot of detail and ive had loads of tests done
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I don't, but you have not told me the level.

Please find me by request on a new post if you are going to ask new questions.