Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

feelin sick, wobbling and disorientated. what is it

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Could you provide more details about your symptoms?
By sick, do you mean nausea and vomiting?
By wobbling, do you mean that you are lightheaded or a spinning sensation or unsteady on your feet?
How long have you had these symptoms?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I mean nausia.I vomited a bit this morning. I am unsteady on my feet and have a spinning sensation. this started yesterday morning.

Thank you for the additional information.

The most likely cause of these symptoms would be a viral infection. A virus can cause a primary infection affecting the gut, called a gastroenteritis, which is the most common cause of sudden onset of nausea and vomiting. A virus also can cause a primary infection of the inner ear, called otitis interna or a labyrinthitis, and is the most common cause of sudden onset of a spinning sensation (also called vertigo).

There are other possible causes of such symptoms, but a virus is the most common and it is reasonable to manage it initially as a viral infection.

As with other common viral infections, management involves interventions to ease symptoms until the infection resolves spontaneously. Antibiotics are not effective at helping to eradicate a viral infection. The medicines that are most helpful in easing these symptoms would be either meclizine or dimenhydrinate, both of which are available over the counter. These medicines directly ease vertigo by suppressing the inner ear and also have activity to ease nausea and vomiting. It also will usually help to primarily drink clear liquids, particularly fruit juices or sports drinks. Clear liquids are easier on the stomach when someone has nausea and vomiting and is better to help with hydration. Like other common viral infections, these symptoms will usually improve over a few days and there is no need to be seen unless the symptoms persist or are more severe and cannot be controlled with these home interventions.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would it help to stay in bed. this feeling doesn't feel good at all especially with fellin sick and wobbling. And I drive with my job

Until you are more steady, it is better to rest, but it does not need to strictly be in bed. If the medicines and fluids get rapid control of symptoms, then you can perform activities as tolerated. It would obviously be difficult to work or drive if the symptoms are not well controlled by the medicines. Even if the drugs are moderately effective, the symptoms may recur with an attempt at increasing activity levels, which is a sign that it is better to rest until the symptoms resolve.