Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been suffer for weeks from problems when eating, I first

I have been suffer for weeks from problems when eating, I first thought it was heartburn but I am now not sure, every time I eat it seems the food is getting stuck between my throat and somewhere in my chest it then causes me to have pains in my chest until I either wash down with fluids or its passes through
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you describe the chest pains and are you having any problems with swallowing just liquids?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it just seems to block from where the food starts to go down and then sends and dull pain across my chest and upwards behind my ears as well at the same time

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Stephen--this only occurs when your eating? How long does it last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes only when eating and lasts until the food passes through or I was down with liquid can last up to 15 seconds and only when drinking at certain times, the drinking of any liquid hot or cold burns as it goes down but then stops after about 4 or 5 sips

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Stephen--just one more question. Before this started, any problem with indigestion or heartburn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes both but not to this extent and not the way this feels, it continues once I have eating and feels like something is pushing back up almost like trapped wind but never results in that and just send the dull ache back into my chest and behind my ears

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Stephen and we can continue after this if you'd like. This could be a few things. My first thought is you may have some damage to your esophagus from gastric acid reflux with some narrowing of the esophagus. Another possibility would be an esophageal motility problem. Finally, although I don't think this is likely, you may have something called gastroparesis--a stomach that empties too slowly. You need to get this evaluated with upper endoscopy and an esophageal and gastric motility test. The sooner you get this evaluated, the better