Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am on fluoxetine for depression - have been on it before

I am on fluoxetine for depression - have been on it before and it helped - but this time the side effects (nearly 3 weeks) are hideous - major anxiety, worse depression, can't eat, shakiness, awake at 5 every morning - I can see that this is common for lots of people and am thinking I should stick it out (until 6 weeks at least?) but I can also see that some people have a bad reaction and need to change the medication they are on - gp is helpful but wondering if more specialist psychiatric advice would help?
Hi--what dosage are you on and how soon after you restarted it did the side effects begin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi I'm on 20mg which I take in the morning - I think about the third day I started feeling terrible - but I think right from day 1 I woke up really early about 5am when I normally really struggle to get up

OK. Usually most side effects of fluoxetine will dissipate in about one to to weeks if the patient can ride things out but in your case I don't think you should try enduring this any longer. It would help for you to consult a psychiatrist about this, and if I were your doctor, I would have you stop the fluoxeting for about a week and then I'd try Effexor or Wellbutrin as alternatives.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks very much for your advice

My pleasure but please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you