Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hi, I am 46, perimenstral and suffering from really dry skin

Hi, I am 46, perimenstral and suffering from really dry skin and mood swings. I am pescitarian and have a lot of external stress in my life at the moment (2 family members seriously ill and a stressful job. There is history of heart disease on my mother's side of the family and I suffer from mild osteoarthiritis. The only medicines I take are salbutamol for mild asthma and paracetamol for my osteoarthiritis as well as occasionally ibuprofen. Please can you recommend something to take to calm down the mood swings and combat the dry itchy skin problem as they are making my life a misery right now?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have you seen a doctor for this?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I was trying to chat live with you but this does not seem to be working. I am now switching to the Q&A mode. Please hold on while I type out your answer. Do not rate now though the system may prompt you. I will be back with your answer in a couple of minutes.

Hello Carol,

I can understand your problems.

Your problems are related to PMS or pre menopausal syndrome.

For now, I will recommend some OTC treatments that you can try after discussing with your doctor.

The best treatment which will help you in several ways is Primrose Oil. Primrose oil is available in capsules from various companies and is available at all chemists, simply ask for primrose oil capsules. It is also available online.

Primrose Oil capsules have been used traditionally for PMS since a long time. It can help with various symptoms of PMS like mood swings and dry skin. It is also known to help in Osteoarthritis so that is an added advantage for you.

For your mood swings you can use Chamomille tea. Chamomille tea packets are also available at most chemists and alternative medicine shops. It helps to stabilize moods and will be very useful for you. Take two cups once in the afternoon and once after dinner.

Some steps for dry skin are:
• Maintaining a cool room temperature
• Use gently, hypoallergenic laundry detergents
• Rinse bed linens twice to ensure that all soap residues have been removed.
• Tepid baths and the use of mild soaps such as Neutrogena or Basis.
• Addition of soothing or moisturizing bath products such as Aveeno Oatmeal bath or Keri bath.
• Addition of bath oils if the skin is intact.
• Taking showers instead of baths
• Frequent application of lotions such as Nivea, Aveeno, Lubriderm, Aquaphor or Keri lotion.
• Drinking plenty of liquids is very important

Try all these steps and also take Primrose oil and Chamomille.

But you should first see a doctor for this. Discuss your problems with him and also these alternative treatments. Seeing a doctor is important so that you can examined for your problems like dry skin.

Take care.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for your advice. I was with the nurse at my doctor's surgery this morning and she recommended that I get in touch with a homeopath to check what over the counter remedies I should try before buying just to ensure that I did not suffer any adverse effects from anything. Thank you very much for your help, I have taken your advice on board and will try it.

Hello Carol,

Glad to have been of help.

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.