DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I was discharged from hospital two weeks ago when i went in

I was discharged from hospital two weeks ago when i went in they told me my ast level was 2555 i was kept in for 2 days on antibiotics i had a ultrasound done and it showed a smooth liver with fatty infiltrations and gallstones had my levels reheckedand there now at 250 all viral hep tests are negative i have been reffered to a specialist but im going out of my mind can u shed any light on this please.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Which level are you talking about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My ast levels. I think my alt level was 150 at my last blood test. Really scared and suffering bad anxiety.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They was my liver enzyme levels im in limbo about whats happening to me and what could be wrong .

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What was the diagnosis
Did you have acute hepatitis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There was no diagnoses i was just discharged with a refferal this is why im hoping u can help me. When i first went in i was told i had hepatitis mean imflammed liver.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The enzymes were consistent with acute hepatitis, now resolving.

You need to keep your referral for blood testing to see why.
Hepatitis, C or B, or A.
Medication effect.
Toxic drug reaction.
These would be the main reasons.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a hep panel done and they came back negative for a.b.c. im terrified at the thought of cirrhosis. Anymore input to help i would really appreciate.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Your labs do not indicate cirrhosis.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Even though i have a fatty liver ? I really appreciate all your help. Can acute hepatitis resolve it self and not have ongoing problems?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Fatty liver is not a finding of cirrhosis.
If it continues, it can lead to cirrhosis over many years.

If there is no hepatitis that is ongoing however, the liver heals and this does not happen.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If i had cirrhosis would my levels stay high and not decline. Ive never had a abnormal enzyme result beforeonly had bloods done 6 months ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
High enzyme levels mean there are intact cells.
It does not indicate cirrhosis.
Advance cirrhosis....low enzymes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about early stages of cirrhosis? Thanks for your help im trying to calm my anxiety down

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
There is no lab to show that.
That would be based on clinical exam and CT or MRI scan of the liver, but even that is not foolproof. A biopsy is the only true test of liver architecture.

However, an episode of hepatitis even if severe, acutely, does not cause cirrhosis. The liver regenerates unless there is chronic insult for years.

Please click a positive rating. Then find me by request as needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What are the chances mine is early stage of cirrhosis? If it was cirrhosis sould it have shown on earlier blood work ?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
After one episode like this? Zero chance.

I already told you that cirrhosis does not show on normal blood work.
I don't think you have cirrhosis. Unless you have had elevated enzymes for 30 years. But then they would never have gotten as high as they did.
The fact that they got this high probably means that you do NOT have cirrhosis.
I am sure that your doctors have told you this. Or hope they have.
I think you have great anxiety however. Anxiety and OCD as well as other disorders will drive you not to trust an answer, even from your doctor. As you are not trusting my answers now, thus asking the same question repeatedly, trying to see if there is a different answer. That is a sign of anxiety, and that should be treated.

At this point please do a positive rating.
You may find me by request for additional questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reason i worry is because ive had gallstone attacks for 4 years and only been to hospital twice for them and had a ultrsound i worry that these where hepatitis rather then gallstone attacks. I have been to my doctor but he didnt discuss anything with apart from giving me diazapam and reffering me to a company who talk to people with anxiety. My anxiety started because i was discharged with no explanation what so ever .

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Same answers as above.
Get the anxiety treated, then you can think clearly.
Same post scsript