DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello. An egg sized growth has been found in my wife between

Customer Question

Hello. An egg sized growth has been found in my wife between the liver and pancreas. I am
Extremely fearful that it could be liver cancer. She recently had a miscarriage and at the time complained of severe abdominal pain. The pain has subsided of late but this revelation has really frightened me. I know she will need further examination. Can you please please provide me with more information. The doctor who spoke to her said it could potentially be life threatening or it could be a cyst. I'm very scared for my wife right now. Please help!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided so far. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

She needs an MRI if it was only a CT
Between the pancreas and liver makes this very unclear.
Impossible to diagnosis from your information.

What is your next step?

If it is in the liver, and appears be a simple cyst, then it is most likely benign.

If it is a hemangioma, benign.

You have not stated any possible reason that she would have liver cancer, which is found in those with chronic hepatitis, or those with colon cancer metastatic to the liver, predominantly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
At this stage a CT scan is planned. She does not have hepatitis. The lump was found in between the liver and pancreas. The doctor she spoke to was, perhaps understandably, non committal on what it could be. She suffers from
Abdominal pain and as I states, she recently suffered a miscarriage. I'm
Just really concerned at this stage. If it is liver cancer what should we look for. I know you cannot be definitive in your response but from
What I have told you what do you feel it maybe?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
If no scan has been done this could be anything

Even a benign fatty tumor.

I still see no reason to suspect liver cancer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One final question please doctor. Could it be an indicator for a different liver threatening illness? I'm
Just praying it's just a cyst or lymph node (a nurse who is a friend suggested this). As I've already mentioned the doctor she spoke to sounded grave (that's what scared me). I just want to put my kind at ease at my mother is already in ICU at hospital and I couldn't endure things getting worse. Thank you so
Much in advance for your kind advice Doctor Thomas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No it would not be a different liver disease unless she had chronic hepatitis that resulted in a tumor.

Usually you can not feel a liver tumor on exam.

I think it is something else.