Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have the following symptoms Sensation of lump in throat Burning

Customer Question

I have the following symptoms

Sensation of lump in throat
Burning in throat
Throat feels like it is closing

I have been to the doctors and had a camera down my throat and they could not find any lump or obstruction. I find if I take rennie or gaviscon it eases. I then have a slight panic attack as I am asthmatic and have a feeling I cannot breath however, my asthma is not effected more in the mind I think because of the feeling my throat is closing.

A friend of mine also seems to suffer the same symptoms and said that his doctor has put him on Omeprazole 20mg. Is this a suitable treatment as he is not asthmatic and I cannot keep going on like this :(

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by a camera down the throat

just the throat, or down to the stomach?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a camera put up my nose and down my throat. Not into my stomach.

OK
So you could easily still have acid reflux.

Nothing has to show up in your throat.

I would suggest you see a gastroenterologist and consider PH monitoring of the esophagus, which would conclusively identify GERD if you have it.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Based on the information provided and the rennie / gaviscon... do you think the

Omeprazole 20mg would be a suitable option ?

No
I think a prescription dose from your doctor of 40 mg daily would be more effective.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

40mg ? This will not effect my asthma ? I have a doctor appointment in 8 days time so I can ask for this treatment.

Will this stop the feeling of not being able to swallow and eat ? As I am sure you can imagine this is bringing me down now and been to the doctors so many times and basically requested to go see an ENT private as fed up with being pushed away.

ENT said the lining of my throat was a little red but nothing more. Had allergy tests which were all negative.

Feel like sometimes the throat closed I cannot breath - not triggering my asthma.

He had stated I could get Singulair of my doctor but not sure what that is or if it would help gerd more shortness of breath issues :(

Pulling my hair out now...

I do appreciate you assisting me with this.

It should not affect your asthma.
It might or might not stop the reflux, you have to give it several weeks to see.

GERD can also aggravate your asthma.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you once again and sorry for so many questions. Just want to stop this sensation and having a panic attack :(

Some days I am fine and then other days feeling like I am being "strangled"

Does all this suggest I have GERD ? I know I have to be tested but at least it will "put my mind at ease"

Yes
I would not have brought it up if I thought it was not suggested.

You are welcome anytime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not a doctor so I just wanted to ensure that I had listed everything so you can help me. I am sorry if you feel I was doubting you as it was not my intent.

I will ask doctor about

Omeprazole 40mg and see what happens.

One final question... do you think I would benefit from singulair or was that just a "stab in the dark" by the other doctor ?

Thanks again.

It would help with the asthma.