Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi Ive felt exhsusted for a week and have 3 small ulcers on

Customer Question

Hi I've felt exhsusted for a week and have 3 small ulcers on my tongue
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you having any symptoms with the exhaustion and ulcers?
Can you take a picture of the tongue ulcers and attach it to this post (using the icon that looks like a paper clip on the toolbar)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No other symptoms at all . I can't find the paper clip sign . There so tiny just look like red marks but painful
The paper clip icon is on the toolbar here:

If you cannot attach an image, an ulcer usually does not look like a tiny red mark. What makes you call it an ulcer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not on a computer I'm on my phone so don't seem to have that tool bar . I thought ulcers only because there sore
There are several issues to consider in this situation.

An ulcer is an area in which the upper layer is lost, exposing the tissue underneath. Ulcers in the mouth and on the tongue typically have to be of a certain size to tell that they are an ulcer. There are other lesions in the mouth that can be painful, so pain or soreness is not sufficient to know that it is an ulcer.

If it is an ulcer, then that would limit the common possible causes to cold sores or canker sores. But there are several other possible causes of tiny red spots on the tongue. Although there are several possible causes of sores on the tongue, there are a couple of common conditions that should be considered first.

The most common cause of a week of exhaustion associated with sores on the tongue would be a viral infection. Although it is more common for viral infections to resolve quicker than a week, about 10-15% of viral infections can last 2 weeks or more, and certain viral infections can last months (such as mono).

Another common cause of exhaustion and sores on the tongue is anaemia. There are actually many possible causes of anaemia, but the evaluation of would first need to identify whether anaemia is present.

Since the symptoms have only been present for a week, it is reasonable to manage it as a viral infection. There is no specific treatment for clearing a viral infection, so treatment is oriented towards supportive care until the virus resolves spontaneously. For exhaustion, the primary supportive care is to get plenty of rest and to drink plenty of fluids, as there is a greater fluid requirement during any acute infection, and dehydration can exacerbate the exhaustion. For the tongue, it would be reasonable to use a lozenge with numbing medicines. These are primarily marketed for relief of a sore throat, but will also help ease soreness on the tongue.

If the symptoms are more severe or persistent, then it would be appropriate to be seen for further evaluation.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions.

My goal is to provide excellent service and a complete answer. If any further information would be helpful to you, please let me know.