Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband fell 7 days ago and hit his head. He was unconscious

My husband fell 7 days ago and hit his head. He was unconscious for about 2 minutes. There are no bumps on his head but he has suffered classic signs of concussion since. Dizziness, headache and sensitivity to noise. He also feels hot and tired a lot. Does he need to go to hospital? Can it be serious or will it gradually disappear on it's own
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am sorry that your husband is having problems.

Anyone with the symptoms that you describe after a fall associated with loss of consciousness should be seen quickly. If he can be seen in an office setting quickly, it does not necessarily need to be at the hospital. But to be seen quickly on a Saturday, it frequently would mean that a person will need to be seen at a hospital.

As for whether it can be serious or will it gradually disappear, both of these statements are true. Part of the reason that someone needs to be seen quickly is that there are certain complications that can be serious and may need urgent treatment. However, many concussions will be managed with supportive care and will improve over time. At home, it cannot be determined which people are having the more serious complications, so it would be appropriate to be seen.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions.

My goal is to provide excellent service and a complete answer. If there is any further information that would be helpful to you, please let me know.