Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a problem with my throat now since January. Its

I have had a problem with my throat now since January. It's probably thrush, from using Clenil inhaler, following flu after Christmas. At first I was using an old spacer, then changed to a new one. I saw a pharmacist who gave me Daktarin gel. I used it for 2 weeks, then decided it wasn't helping and stopped for a weekend. Then I had the most horrible symptoms. I saw a Doctor on the Monday morning who said it can take a longer time to get better and told me to use the Daktarin oral gel for another 2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks I got a very sore throat and a nasty cold which went to my chest and ears. So I went back on the Clenil inhaler again. I've now been using the Daktarin gel for 5 weeks since seeing the doctor, and I'm still feeling the same symptom that I did 7 or 8 weeks ago. Can you help please?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information/clarification:
I assume that when you saw the doctor and was told to continue the Daktarin for another 2 weeks, the doctor felt that this was thrush, correct?
Do you know whether he made the diagnosis solely by exam? Or was a test done?
Are you rinsing the mouth after using the Clenil inhaler?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The doctor didn't categorically say that it was thrush, but yes he did seem to think the treatment was correct. He didn't do any test for it. He said that my tongue was a bit coated and my throat was a bit red, but said 'there's definitely nothing nasty there'. I always gargle well after using the Clenil.

Well, at this point, it would be appropriate to perform a specific test for the thrush.

The vast majority of cases of thrush (oral Candida infection) are diagnosed by the appearance on physical examination, and then are treated and respond to one of the common medicines, such as the Daktarin. When someone fails to respond to an appropriate medicine, then it would be appropriate to consider whether the diagnosis was correct. When examining a partially treated case, it may not have the characteristic appearance, so can be describe as having a bit of coating and redness, and it was appropriate to continue the medicine to see if it would completely resolve. However, at this point, it would be appropriate to perform specific testing.

If the test shows that it is a persistent Candidal infection, then it would be appropriate to change to systemic treatment, such as with oral Diflucan. If the test does not show it to be a persistent Candidal infection, then it would be appropriate to perform further evaluation to look for other possible causes, some of which are infectious, but also for non-infectious causes, such as acid reflux.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much

You're welcome. I hope that you feel better soon.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.