Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am a 21 yr old man, and since last June (I have had to drop

I am a 21 yr old man, and since last June (I have had to drop out of uni) have felt ill I have various tests, glandular fever (test three times) thyroid, muscle tests (cannot remember what it was called but involved tiny wires inserted) I suffer with hot and cold flushes feel exhausted, my hair is falling out (more than is usual) blood count and some others that I do not know what they were for and all came back as satisfactory, I have trouble sleeping too.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--do you know what the TSH level on the thyroid test was?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No sorry I dont

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Matthew--were you tested for vitamin deficiencies?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not believe so but then I didn't really understand the shorthand blood test wrting that you take with you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--were you told why the muscle testing was done Matthew?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Due to feeling fatigued, I used to do a lot of running and now just do not have the energy

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Matthew--and we can continue after this if you'd like. First off, this sounds very much like a low thyroid problem and your doctor may not know that the newer guidelines say that unless your TSH was below 2.5 you'd be considered hypothyroid and should be on thyroid supplementation. Another possibility would be vitamin B12 deficiency. Finally I'd check your cortisol levels since your adrenal glands may not be producing enough of that hormone. You need to recheck with your doctor about all these areas.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I have all the symptoms of glandular fever what are the acceptable levels of that test and also a friend said it sounded like ME are there test that you can have for this ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Both of those involve the Epstein Barr virus antibody titer levels and basically any positive test would suggest either ME or glandular fever Matthew so basically you don't have either of those and really the constellation of your symptoms better fit low thyroid, low cortisol, or low vitamin B12 levels