DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

what is involved in getting dentures. How much time will I

what is involved in getting dentures. How much time will I need to take off work an how fast could I be treated?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
If you have only lost a few teeth this would not be a denture situation.

Can you give me more detail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What would you advise?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
See a dentist first
It sounds like this situation might simply require a bridge or a couple of implants.
Only an exam can decide that.
How many of your own teeth do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been told that you cannot have implants if you have gum disease plus implants are very expensive

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Then it is probably a matter of clearing up the gum disease [it is not true that you can't have implants, it depends on many factors] and then probably getting a bridge.

Your first visit will help assess this.
That won't take more than an hour.

At that point, the work will probably be scheduled over 2 to 3 visits, an hour to 1.5 hours at a time, on average, to take impressions, clear up any problems, then fit the prosthesis.

An ideal type of dentist is a prostadontist for this type of work.

The solution has to be tailored to you: there is no one size fits all solution; so the first visit for assessment is critical.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should add that I smoke which does not help plus as I have alwasy had bad teeth I long for nice straight white teeth. How do I do that without spending my life savings

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It that case probably a bridge is going to be the solution.
This is certainly better than removing all of your teeth.

Of course, the assessment must be done to say
You might also look at teaching dental clinics at teaching universities, as dentists in training working with experienced dentists often saves money.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is a bridge and is it very uncomfortable?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It is usually one or more porcelain teeth that are hung or supported by your teeth.
No, if it is well made, it is not uncomfortable.
Generally more comfortable than dentures.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is the average cost? And can it be extended say I wait for the remaining one to fall out naturally?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I would not wait at all.
You do not know how much damage there is, and if you do not get help you can have more problems and more expense;;;;bad idea.

The cost will depend on how many teeth are in trouble.
You might spend 10 to 20 thousand dollars in the worst cases, or you might spend 3 to 5 thousands dollars...you won't know until you are examined. A teaching situation will be cheaper.

What you can bank on is that the longer you wait, the more the cost is going to be.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.