Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a recovered alcoholic of 8 years. Recently I made the

Customer Question

I am a recovered alcoholic of 8 years. Recently I made the stupid mistake of using diazapam on a daily basis for about 3 weeks. About 20-50mg a day. This resulted in someone noticing my changed relaxed behaviour. I have denied the extent of the use but have admitted to using it a few times. This was 4 weeks ago. My social worker is now insisting on blood testing for alcohol to check I did not lapse back into drinking. (Which I am unconcerned about as I did not drink at all). The test they are asking for is a liver function test LFT). My question is will this test show up the extent of my diazapam use. I am now not using and back into recovery. The last diazapam I took was 2 weeks ago. The only other drug I am on is an antidepressant.

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 38

Already Tried:
I have stopped taking the diazapam and am back in recovery
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Liver function test measures the liver enzymes AST, ALT, GGT, bilirubin, albumin.

Dr. D.J. :

These levels only suggest the liver health.

Dr. D.J. :

In case of alcohol use, GGT will be elevated.

Dr. D.J. :

However, diazepam does not cause any specific changes to the liver enzymes.

Dr. D.J. :

This test will not tell anything about how much diazepam you took before.

Dr. D.J. :

In fact, there is no test that can specifically tell the amount of diazepam you consumed.

Dr. D.J. :

The drug screening tests can only tell the presence of diazepam ( in your case it does not apply since you already admitted to using diazepam).

Dr. D.J. :

Hence, you do not need to worry about your test.

Dr. D.J. :

I wish you all the best with your recovery.

Dr. D.J. :

Best wishes,

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Dr. D.J. : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Dr. D.J. : Hi there,
Dr. D.J. : Liver function test measures the liver enzymes AST, ALT, GGT, bilirubin, albumin.
Dr. D.J. : These levels only suggest the liver health.
Dr. D.J. : In case of alcohol use, GGT will be elevated.
Dr. D.J. : However, diazepam does not cause any specific changes to the liver enzymes.
Dr. D.J. : This test will not tell anything about how much diazepam you took before.
Dr. D.J. : In fact, there is no test that can specifically tell the amount of diazepam you consumed.
Dr. D.J. : The drug screening tests can only tell the presence of diazepam ( in your case it does not apply since you already admitted to using diazepam).
Dr. D.J. : Hence, you do not need to worry about your test.
Dr. D.J. : I wish you all the best with your recovery.
Dr. D.J. : Best wishes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for your answer. You said that the test will be able to pick up that I have taken diazepam. The last time I took diazepam was 1-2 weeks ago. Will the test show that I took it such a short time ago, as I had said that the last time I took it was 3-4 weeks ago. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
No the blood test will not show that.
Diazepam will stay in your system that long.
And your blood test is not ordered to detect diazepam ( which is known as drug screen test).

Best wishes