Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am sick between 1-3 times each day -after eating -especially

I am sick between 1-3 times each day -after eating -especially if I bend down - it seems to be a burp first then sick - I eat small amounts but it feels like I have eaten a 4course lunch - when sick I get a pain in roughly under my left breast - I think it is probably a stomach ulcer as I have a pain in my stomach - If I drink coffee or wine on an empty stomach it comes up as fast as it goes down. sometimes I have to run to the sink or find something quickly in the car as it can happen quickly. I suffered a from massive amounts of stress about 2years ago and that's when it really started . I went to my doctor a few weeks ago and said as above -he took my pulse /heart rate said I seemed very healthy and to keep a list of food I was eating to see if there may be an allergy. over the past 2years I have lost 3 stone but it has settled down now. I think because the only thing I can eat without being sick is copious amounts of chocolate.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
When you say that the doctor said as above, do you mean that he agreed that it was likely an ulcer?
Did the doctor prescribe any medicine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no sorry it was several years ago a stomach ulcer was diagnosed I am just presuming it is that again - my doctor just said really it was my diet - this is a bit odd but I am sure it is something about bending down as when I go to the toilet if after eating up to about 2hours when I bend down to sit on the toilet 9 times out of 10 I have to quickly turn round as i am sick all very embarrassing
Have you recently taken any over the counter medicines for suppression of stomach acid?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no none
Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

It is appropriate to keep a food diary to see if there is any particular food sensitivity. However, there is another consideration that also can be considered at the same time.

Since you have a history of ulcers, it is reasonable to suspect another episode of an acid irritation syndrome. The exacerbation of symptoms with bending, though, is more typical of a different acid irritation syndrome, specifically acid reflux (or more properly called gastroesophageal reflux disease). Acid reflux occurs when the tight muscle at the lower end of the esophagus is relatively weak, and the acidic stomach contents can back up into the esophagus and cause local irritation and inflammation. Bending may exacerbate acid reflux because it increases the pressure within the abdomen, and this presses on the outside of the stomach, increasing the amount of reflux.

On the other hand, the usual first medicines are similar for all of the various acid irritation syndromes, so empiric treatment using one of these medicines is a reasonable first step. There are several medicines available over the counter.that may help, but for someone with more significant symptoms, it would be appropriate to use one of the more potent medicines, such as Prilosec or Prevacid.

There also are certain lifestyle changes that may help with any acid irritation syndrome, primarily avoiding substances that are known to stimulate acid release, such as tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, and anti-inflammatory medicines. Another intervention that may specifically help acid reflux is to place 6 inch (15 cm) blocks under the feet at the head of the bed, so that you are sleeping at an angle. Although persons with acid reflux typically have symptoms all day, the reflux is usually worse at night while lying flat, and sleeping at an angle will help restore some of the benefit of gravity in keeping stomach contents where they belong. It is important to note that it is not as effective to simply use extra pillow to prop the torso and head, as this will cause the person to bend at the waist, and can cause the same increase in abdominal pressure discussed above.

Therefore, it would be reasonable to use an over the counter medicine to suppress stomach acid while also keeping the food diary.

If you need any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
although I have not taken over the counter medication for stomach acid in the past -I have over the years I
and feel that I know that the symptoms in have now are not the same although I will try them again. I have over the year cut out food that I believe is making me more sick
k these are fruit veg rice pasta pizza bread cheese yoghurt I now eat cakes and chocolate and plain chicken
I thought that you said that you thought that this pain was from an ulcer, but it is also true that acid reflux may feel differently than an ulcer, since the acid irritation is occurring at a different anatomic site.

It is reasonable to adjust the diet to include the foods that you now that you are tolerating better. Different people may find that different foods may cause different symptoms. For acid reflux, many people find that high fat and more substantive foods are more likely to exacerbate symptoms, but whatever food is tolerated well is fine to eat.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.