Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My son is an alcoholic but I think the alcoholism is a symptom

My son is an alcoholic but I think the alcoholism is a symptom of his troubled mind not the cause but nobody will help until he gives up the drink. He is on mitrazipine but does not take them properly. He is very aggressive and abusive to me. What can I do to get him help he needs.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry about your son.

Dr. David :

many patients who have troubled minds or mental illness turn to alcohol to try to treat their symptoms and easily become depending on drinking.

Dr. David :

it can then be very difficult to separate out the alcoholic behavior and the mental illness behavior which needs separate psychiatry treatment.

Dr. David :

as a mother, you know him best and knew his behavior before he turned to drinking.

Dr. David :

helping him can be very very difficult, especially if he is abusive.

Dr. David :

and if he is unwilling to accept help, there is often not a lot which can be done if he is an adult now.

Dr. David :

I know you have try to talk to his doctors or your doctor and psychiatric nurses.

Dr. David :

you can also try calling national help hotlines.

Dr. David :

Drinkline is the national alcohol helpline. If you're worried about your own or someone else's drinking, you can call this free helpline, in complete confidence. Call 0800(NNN) NNN-NNNN(weekdays 9am – 8pm, weekends 11am – 4pm).

Dr. David :

Addaction is a UK-wide treatment agency that helps individuals, families and communities to manage the effects of drug and alcohol misuse

Dr. David :

http://www.addaction.org.uk/

Dr. David :

Adfam is a national charity working with families affected by drugs and alcohol and operates online message board and database of local support groups

Dr. David :

http://www.adfam.org.uk/

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

is he willing to go for in patient alcohol treatment programs?

Dr. David :

that would be the best possible treatment for him to wean him off of his alcohol and then have him be seen by a psychiatrist to address his troubled mind issues.