Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My eyes have been sore and gritty for over 4 weeks sometimes

Customer Question

My eyes have been sore and gritty for over 4 weeks sometimes my eelids and bridge of my nose swells ive tried everything possible from creams ointments pescribed im now at the end of my tether with the discomfort can you please help
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Have you had any surgery on the eye lids or the eyes?

Q. Previously diagnosed medical conditions?

Q. Are you on any medication?
Q. Does it feel gritty and dry in the mornings?

Q. Have you been to an eye doctor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no and yes ive Aorta Stenosis (told by gp) this is not the cause yes but nothing new in past 20yrs,feels like this all the time,waiting to see eye dr no app yet given.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

Gritty and sore sensation usually occurs due to dry eyes and there are many causes of a dry eye. The dryness if prolonged can cause keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) or conjunctivitis (inflammation of the conjunctiva). This can be due to a lagophthalmos (incomplete closure of the eyes) specially during the night and can be due to keratoconjunctivitis sicca or dry eye syndrome. In the later, the grittiness starts in the day and gets worse as the day progresses where as in incomplete closure at night, the symptoms are more pronounced in the mornings when one wakes up.
This has to be checked out by an ophthalmologist at the earliest and a viable treatment should be started since, the eyes are very sensitive.
You should make sure that your eyes are fully closed at night and this can be done with someone's help. Who can check if you are keeping your eyes partially open at night. If that is the case then diagonal taping of the eye lids should be done as a temporary measure and artificial tears should be used in the eyes four times a day - four drops each eye.
You should also keep yourself well hydrated at all times and avoid sun exposure without shades.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.