Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I have been bleeding heavily ( Like a period) for 3-4 weeks.

I have been bleeding heavily ( Like a period) for 3-4 weeks. It is has been alot heavier in the last few days. I need to change my suoer plus tampon every 1-2 hours. I saw my GP last week and have had blood tests done ( Not had resulte yet) and have been referred to have an ultasound scan done. I am quite frightened by the amount of blood I am losing. Do I need to do anything more urgently?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Do you have any other symptoms
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

some period-like cramps, that is all

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
dr off line or busy
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today. Hello and welcome to JA. I am a board certified ob gyn and will help you.

It sounds as if you are bleeding quite heavily so you do need a blood count or CBC done to determine if you are becoming anemic.

You also need an endometrial biopsy which is done in the office. An ultrasound is not actually the first step.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you do not appear to have answered my question

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Ok Your question was do I need to do anything more urgently. You need the results of the cbc or blood count. If you are anemic, you do need to do something more urgently. You need an endometrial biopsy done and then something to get the bleeding to stop. This may be a d and c or could be medication.

You should get the results from your Dr. If you cannot do this, you should go to an emergency room or clinic.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified with experience in primary care.