Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I want to speak to a surgeon about bowel surgery

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I'm a surgeon--what's your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm very worried . My dad had bowel surgery last Wednesday to remove a tumor in Colon, he was doing ok eating a little etc. but over last 3 days he just cannot eat. Can barely have even a few bites .

He gets discomfort in throat and feels like food will come back up / or does come back up, has got bit sickness and lot burping and bloating .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.

OK Hina. Is he on any antibiotics and before the surgery did he ever have a problem like this? How's his abdominal pain from the surgery and any fever? Has he had a bowel movement since the surgery?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No fever apart from little on day 1.

He does generally suffer from reflux n Oesaphagitis .

He was on antibiotics prior to surgery for a mild chest infection.

He also coughs out quite bit of phlegm. Stools passing now but before was a lot of flow with just liquid .

The lack of good making him very weak
N lost so much weight. We are so worried
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. What does the phlegm look like?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Clear , bit pale yellow n when Vomitted yesterday he had greenish colour which a nurse said bile or something
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Sounds as though he might have a sinus infection that's causing this, but he might have a bowel obstruction following the surgery so he needs to let his surgeon know about this right away so he can be examined and get an abdominal x-ray. He might just need antibiotics but this could be a serious problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What u mean by serious problem ?

What happens in bowel obstruction? But he passing stool
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
An intestinal obstruction would be serious and might even require surgery and you can still have an obstruction and pass some stool. Not saying that's what he has but with the symptoms you mentioned it could still be the case. It would just be a very good idea to contact his surgeon about this Hina
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They done an abdominal X-ray this afternoon so waiting result .

We been telling them since last week re instruction but they kept saying abdomen fine , soft etc
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
So did he see a doctor today?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No
Doctor today just done X-ray , but drs been
Seeing him n looking at tummy everyday . They also listened to bowel sounds etc.is it common not to just want to
Eat n have these symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Just one other question then Hina--I assume the doctors are aware of his problem so have they said anything about it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well initially they said lets see cuz he was eating little after op and them vomitting settled etc.

We feel his andomen is tender but dr touched it and said its fine.but over last 3 days he just can't eat and gettin weak due to lack of food . Lot of burps, and feels food coming back
Up.

He was on iv fluid for dehydration too.

His WBC Is 12 and rbc 10.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Hina, yes it could just be that he doesn't feel like eating after the surgery. I'm not his doctor but I'd give him some antibiotics for a possible sinus infection and he may need a feeding tube in his stomach through his nose to give him the nutrition and fluids he needs for now. You need to let his doctor know about his eating problem right away. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are blockage symptoms ? What can
Green
Vomit mean ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Usually the abdomen would be swollen but there'd also be vomiting and lack of passing gas down below. Green vomit just means bile in the stomach and that can be seen without any blockage and it can be seen with a sinus infection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Woukd there be lot of vomit? Would there be lot bloating and burping too?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Usually yes there'd be a lot of vomit along with burping and bolating but the x-ray would show if there actually is a blockage and I really think it won't show that. Hina--we've about exhausted all I can tell you right now about this so I ask that you provide me an excellent rating for the work I've done with you today and then get back to me when you find out more
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last query wat could be the cause of all
This bloating burping n just not wanting to eat if was not a blockage?

Would bile in stomach cause this ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Bile in his stomach could cause this as could post nasal drip from the sinuses. He might just have a stomach virus that will pass soon but if he can't pick up his eating and drinking after maybe two more days he'll need the feeding tube
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think my dads stage will be 3c colonncancer . Is this curable ?

Can u just advise what this comment means which was in ct report:

Fat stranding small volume lymph nodes notes as previous , keeping in line with tumor.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes it can be curable but he'll need chemotherapy. That means he may have had some lymph nodes to which the cancer has spread;
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The tumor was touching the right kidney as it was nr it so at surgery they cut bit kidney. Does this mean the tumor has invaded the kidney ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, just that it was touching the kidney
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But then y would they cut
Some of the kidney ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay--that is just standard practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Once the tumor is removed from
Colon, it can still spread right ( ie mets in
Liver, lungs)?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Have you talked to his doctor about all this Hina?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can a abdominal
X-ray check for the liver ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
It can to a certain extent Hina--it can see if it's enlarged and if the liver had a cyst or tumor that could be seen in an x-ray
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can it detect liver mets?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes it can but let me ask you again--have you talked to his doctor about all this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Abdominal X-ray done and was clear. I was just wondering about liver mets again
Gota to see surgeon next week with pathology report
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Doesn't sound like liver mets. Tell you what Hina--let's close this page with another rating of my service to you and get back to me on a fresh page after you've met with the surgeon and I'll be glad to discuss all that with you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last question ... Wat do small volume lymph nodes mean ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
They may not mean anything at all Hina but they might represent that the cancer has spread to those nodes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure but please remember the second rating and let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My dad pathology report states duke c1?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That means the tumor was entirely through the wall of his colon Hina
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What stage is a dukes c1?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's Stage III Hina, I would be happy to talk more to you about this but seeing as how I've spent a lot of additional time with you you need to rate my service to you again and then open a fresh page with any more questions