Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I noticed a pea sized lump in my right armpit about a week

Customer Question

I noticed a pea sized lump in my right armpit about a week ago when I was shaving, as I felt it hurt a bit. It is slightly red, but does not actually stick out. I can feel it when I touch it, although it is not very visible if you just look at it. It is painful when I touch it, but otherwise it doesn't hurt unless it catches on my clothes. I am a 31 yr old female, and I have just come on my period yesterday. Do you know what this could be?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--have you ever had this there before?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Since you're not online now I'll give my answer and we can continue after this if you'd like. This is either folliculitis--hair shaft infection--or perhaps a small infected sebaceous cyst. I'd suggest for now you not shave there and apply some Neosporin to the area, but if it gets larger or more painful in the next few days, you need to have a doctor look at it and you'll need some antibiotics