Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have melasma/chloasma patch and the pigmentation seems to

Customer Question

I have melasma/chloasma patch and the pigmentation seems to be getting darker. I have never been pregnant so assume it is from taking the contraceptive pill (my GP confirmed this). As an actor, I am concerned that it is starting to lose me work as it's becoming increasingly difficult to hide with make up. I would like to know if you have any thoughts on getting rid of the pigmentation (I have tried creams but reluctant to bleach) and whether stopping the pill will get rid of it. I was thinking of stopping next year anyway to start trying for a baby so this is sooner than I would like but am willing to stop if it is the best way to get rid of the melasma. I am 33 years old and have been taking the pill since 16. This brand (Yasmin) since 2006 with no other side effects.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, the majority of cases of melasma are related to a high hormone state, such as pregnancy or hormonal treatments, such as birth control pills. When due to birth control pills, the most effective method for resolution of the melasma is to stop the pills, and the melasma will usually resolve over a few months.

In those cases that occur without hormone treatment or that persist despite stopping the hormones, there are some depigmenting treatments that can be used, such as hydroquinone, tretinoin, or a combination of these two medicines with a steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine. The tretinoin, though, should be avoided in women that are pregnant or may become pregnant.

If it is possible to stop the birth control pills, this would be the preferable choice.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you! Presumably, any contraceptive injection could well cause the same thing.
Melasma is seen more often with the oral contraceptives, but it can still occur with the injectable contraceptive, which is a progesterone-only product. If you are wanting to be more certain that the melasma will resolve, it would be better to avoid any hormonal contraceptive.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any further follow-up questions.

My goal is to provide excellent service and a complete answer. If there is any further information that would be helpful, please let me know.