Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

hi there. Im a little worried. me and my husband have been

Customer Question

hi there. Im a little worried. me and my husband have been trying for baby number 4. i got some early symptoms of pregnancy but now its 5 days before my period is due and started with brown spotting now its red and heavier. does this mean Im losing our baby?
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

How regular have your periods been>
Was your last period completely normal? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im very regular every 28 days and yes it was normal as far as i can remember!I've had 17 miscarriages and a mole removed from my womb. don't know uf this will help. x
I suspect that you're not pregnant, and that the bleeding and your symptoms are from some hormonal changes. It's too early to have symptoms of pregnancy, since at 5 days before a period, implantation just occurred approximately 2 days ago, so there are no hormonal changes yet from the pregnancy. Most women won't have symptoms until they miss a period, and many later than that.

Other hormonal changes can cause nausea, breast tenderness, and other symptoms like pregnancy. Those other hormonal changes can also result in bleeding when not expected.

Even if you were pregnant, bleeding before your period is due would be quite unusual. With a miscarriage, bleeding almost always starts after a period is due.

Hormonal changes may be due to stress, illness, or other things. Usually they will take care of themselves in time. I would give it some time and see whether your periods become normal again. It's highly unlikely you're losing your baby, because it's not likely that you're pregnant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thank you. my pregnancy symptoms are a little different to a lot of others. i suffer with ibs and with every pregnancy it has just stopped 2/3 days after conceiving as it has this time too. i do hope you're wrong but thank you for your time x
You're welcome.
I hope I'm wrong too, although the bleeding would not be a good sign if you were pregnant.
In case you are pregnant and develop a positive pregnancy test, please let me know. Thank you.
Thank you for your payment and rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi Im still having problems. i did have a very heavy period in April then a normal one but was still having pregnancy symptoms. i took a test on Tue and it was a light positive!! took another two on wed and this morn but they negative!! can you please shed some light on this as its driving me insane!! thank you
When did your last period start?
Have you taken any medication lately? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Friday 2nd of may was the first day of my last period and no Im not on any medications. thank you
Assuming that your test this morning was a first morning urine, I suspect that this is another miscarriage. Since your period is late, and you had a light positive pregnancy test, that usually means pregnancy. When an early test turns negative, that is what we sometimes call a chemical pregnancy. I'm very sorry.

Since you've had 17 miscarriages before this, I hope that you've seen a fertility doctor to try to discover if there is any treatable reason for all the miscarriages.