Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had a big bleed 13 days ago going to the toilet. No warning

Customer Question

I had a big bleed 13 days ago going to the toilet. No warning at all, pains or anything to suggest anything was not normal. After passing as normal, I passed a large amount of fresh red blood. My Gp called me in straight away and then sent me straight to the emergency surgical assessment unit at my local hospital. My HB was ok and blood pressure, but PR exam did show fresh bleeding from somewhere.

Advised on diet and booked for colonoscopy 1st May. To go straight back if happens again. It didn't but on Friday night I suddenly felt very ill, unbearable pains, and onset of diarrhoea as water. I have never been as ill in my life as over the last 4 days with excruciating bowel pains that make me double up, frequent passing of water, and as soon as passed the cycle happens again awful pains and more water PR. I havnt eaten a thing in 4 days if I did I think it would finish me. I have forced myself to drink water with salt added and sugar to keep going.

My wife has researched internet and it fits everything with severe gastro enteritis. Could this be related to the big rectal bleed I had 11 days ago, or likely a separate thing. No blood has been in 4 days of passing water PR but the smell is gross and like nothing ever had.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is David

Dr. David :

you could have had a diverticulosis bleed from your colon .

Dr. David :

diverticulosis can bleed like this and cause severe pain.

Dr. David :

you should go back to the hospital.

Dr. David :

diverticulosis sometimes can turn into diverticulitis can become infected and require antibiotics

Dr. David :

you could very well be dehydrated from the loss of water and lack of oral intake.

Dr. David :

at first I though most likely you had a hemorrhoid bleed

Dr. David :

that would be most common.

Dr. David :

but you could have a diverticulosis bleed now with the pain.

Dr. David :

hard to know without that colonoscopy.

Customer:

Thank you for this advice I have made myself drink 3 litres of water today and although I still feel dreadful I feel better than Saturday and sunday and today have passed pure watery motion twice which compared to yesterday and Saturday is better when it was every half an hour.

Dr. David :

wow.

Dr. David :

this is crazy.

Dr. David :

you really should be in the hospital

Dr. David :

they should be doing the colonoscopy like now.

Dr. David :

you need also an IV as well to get fluid into your system.

Dr. David :

if you have diverticulosis, you need antibiotics like flagyl to help.

Dr. David :

and then you need to be started on some anti-diarrhea agents to stop your watery diarrhea.

Dr. David :

you shouldn't be at home waiting for the procedure until May 1st.

Customer:

Thank you I am taking your advice I am going back to the emergency surgical assessment unit at my hospital they said to go straight back if any problems without going through the A&E thank you I am going there now.

Dr. David :

good luck

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

let me know what they do

Dr. David :

I hope you get better.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my webpage if you need to reach me again.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below.

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

thanks.