DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Itchy skin/bumps/spots

Hi - having gone my whole life without a skin problem, I have developed an incredibly itchy rash that starts looking like bites (I initially thought I had bedbugs, but haven't), and then over time (and scratching), develop into itchy, scabby raised red bumps, a cm or two big). the doctor tentatively diagnosed scabies, despite me having no contact with anyone with scabies, and I did the cream treatment twice, a week apart. I realise that scabies itching can continue a while, but I am not convinced at all that it is. I have developed new areas of itching since. Anti-histamines help a little during the day, but the itching is worse at night. Looking at images online, it doesn't look like hives. The little spots are tiny, and burst with clear or honey liquid if itched. these then seem to join up to form larger patches of inflammation. The spots are mainly concentrated on legs and arms, with just the odd one on my torso. Nothing yet on face or scalp. Any advice welcome. Many thanks.

Ps - A nurse has suggested that it could be stress - related. I'm going through some major life changes at the moment. Could stress cause an outbreak like this, even though I'm not aware of feeling particularly anxious, and if so, what should I treat it with?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Can you attach a picture
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hand

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is not stress.

See a dermatologist and have a sample sent to the lab.
It might still be infectious, but contact dermatitis is high on the list.
A form of eczema as well.
Autoimmune diseases can to it.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi - I will make an appointment. I have been a keen swimmer for a number of years (5x a week). Is it possible I've suddenly developed a sensitivity to chlorine?

While I wait for apptmt, should I be using any creams?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is possible.
I would use homeopathic calendula, a little tiny bit on each spot, up to 5 applications.