Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Ive have a white spot located under my tongue and it has existed

Customer Question

I've have a white spot located under my tongue and it has existed there for a number of years now. it does not hurt etc and as such what could that be? is there anyone there to answer me?

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Hi there.

Do you smoke or drink alcohol?

Or chew tobacco?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Phil, thanks for replying to my query. i don't smoke however i do drink alcohol. Could it be an std?

Hi George.

thanks for the reply

This is likely not an STD

It is probably something known as leukoplakia which is usually benign in non smokers

I do recommend a dentist look at it but likely nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr, Phil, Thanks for the answer

I do get tonsillitis quite often and there is currently a whitish patch on the inside of my mouth. What is the cause of leukoplakia?

Generally it is just from inflammation or irritation in the mouth
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what would be the cause of the raised lumps on the back of my tongue? I can't tolerate yeast products and as such, would this have anything to do with the white patch etc?

those bumps are likely from irritation/inflammation too

possibly allergies or acid reflux

I don't think the yeast is related at all
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. Should i see a doctor or dentist? Also, is it easy to get gonorrhea (and other stds) from receiving oral sex? How long would it take for symptoms to be evident? -from gonorrhea!

see a dentist

This is not an STD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. The std question is a different query to the first and is not related to the white lump..

Oh I see

No it is not terribly easy to get it through oral sex

symptoms within 48 hours usually

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks and yes i'll give your service here an excellent rating. What are the chances of getting gonorrhea or herpes from a one off encounter with an infected partner (if she gives oral sex). would it be 1-1000 or more?

probably 1/1000 or less
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)