Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my recent blood test revealed high red blood cells second

Customer Question

my recent blood test revealed high red blood cells second test when repeated
same result is this dangerous
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Whether it is dangerous would depend upon the severity of the abnormality and the underlying cause.
Do you have the actual value of the test?
Did your doctor comment upon what was the cause of the high red blood cell count?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. awaiting an appointment with my own Dr thought you could

2. help now know I should have waited

thanks for lesson learnt

Do you have any chronic medical problems?

I wanted to provide you with some information that may be helpful when you see your physician.

First, a mild elevation may be nothing. WIth how the normal range is defined, about 5% of normal people will have a result that is slightly outside the normal range, but they are still normal.

An elevated red blood count can occur as a primary problem of the blood or secondary to another medical condition. If it is due to another medical condition, then the severity of the elevation is a reflection of the underlying condition. For example, the most common situation in which this is seen is in someone with chronic lung disease, as the body will respond to a chronically low oxygen level by making more red blood cells. In this setting, a higher red blood count is potentially dangerous because of the danger associated with poor lung function.

There also is a danger associated with a more significantly elevated red blood count, regardless of whether it is a primary or a secondary problem. As the blood count gets higher, then the blood gets thicker, and is harder to pump through the body. The level of danger in this situation is directly related to the level of the elevation.

Hopefully, this will help you when you see your doctor. If any further information would be helpful after seeing your doctor, please let me know.