Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

have had a very dull pain in my left pec

Customer Question

Im 47 in decent shape.##I have had a very dull pain in my left pectoral muscle for about three weeks. I dont remember having any huge impact/accident just had strained abit moving some equipment around. The pain was worse the next day. It hurts sharply when i cough. It seem to have gotten better a week or so ago. It seems to have worsened again. I have the broken rib sensation that when I rise from a lying position it pulls tightly in my chest. The pain point seems to have moved a bit from where it was originally which was a bit lower on the pectoral. It is sore/tender if i poke my finger straight into it.  I saw a GP briefly last week adn he was pretty sure it was a broken rib. The slightly changing position of it and the lack of incidence for the injury makes me a little sceptical.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Are there associated symptoms like cough/ fever/ difficulty in breathing or redness over the region concerned? Were any investigations done to see for the cause?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No fever. Have had little cough. Redness not really. GP did a little invesitgation with Stethoscope.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Konal,

Thank you for the additional information.

Change in the site of pain makes fracture less likely {as you rightly think too}. I would think of other causes like muscle sprain/ intercostal muscle tear {may be due to excess use}/ abnormality at the underlying pleura or lung {inflammation, infection}.

Next step - As this pain is there for three weeks now If I were you I would get few investigations like chest x ray/ blood tests to get more answers.

Till than - Warm compress, Ibuprofen and rest {no exercise} would give relief.

Wish you well.

Best