Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi Doctor, I have a sensitive teeth. It used to only hurt

Customer Question

Hi Doctor,

I have a sensitive teeth. It used to only hurt when I'm havingg hot or cold foods/drinks but since the past 2 days I'm still getting the pain even when I'm not doing any of those. The pain is throbbing and it comes and goes. I just had my molar tooth on the same jawline extracted today. Actually my reason of seeing the dentist is to complain about my sensitivity but then he told me that the real problem is the molar tooth. He pulled it out and there was cysts at the base of it. But even after the extraction, why do I still have the sensitivity pain?

Thank you for answering my question.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

Is it only after this procedure was done that they are sensitive all the time?

Did you start any new medicines or antibiotics since the procedure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I started to have the problem after a scaling procedure 3 years ago. But since the past couple of days it has worsen. I went to see the dentist to complain about that today but he told me that that was not the real problem whech he said was the back molar.
Any new medicine or supplements?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no. I just took painkillers.
Okay thank you

I think it may take time for the sensitivity to come down

It makes sense that this inflammation/infected/cystic tooth can cause this and I agree with that assessment.

The overall sensitivity should pass as this heals

I would take ibuprofen for pain and use a sensitive tooth toothpaste like sensodyne

Should go away with time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Really? Thank goodness :D Do you think I should take antibiotics to prevent infections from happening? And May I know how can the cystic tooth cause the sensitivity?

No to antibiotics

That will cause more harm than good

The cystic tooth causes inflammation in the mouth which increases pain
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay. Thank you :) One more thing, how long does it usually take for the pain to heal and if it still persist after that, should i see the dentist?

1-2 weeks

Yes follow up if it doesn't heal after that
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your advice Dr.Phil! I'm going to rate you now. Bye Bye :)

thanks!