DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My Mum(76 years of age)has just come out of hospital after

My Mum(76 years of age)has just come out of hospital after being diagnosed with pneumonia, she has asthma, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis for which she takes methotrexate and alendronic acid. She has been given amoxicillin and clarithromycin antibiotics to take. She has told to stop taking the methotrexate while taking the antibiotics and to expect some discomfort/pain. She has been given paracetamol for pain relief. Would there anything else that she could take if the pain becomes too much ?
Many Thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes she could but it would be prescription.

It is possible that over the counter ibuprofen might help...however, this needs to be discussed with her doctor...the problem is that ibuprofen can increase the risk of ulcers when taken with alendronic acid.

It would be better if the doctor gave her some temporary hydrocodone, maybe.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].