Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a Nexplanon implant fitted in January 2013. For a long

I had a Nexplanon implant fitted in January 2013. For a long time I didn't have any bleeding or discharge. For the past 4 months (approx) I have had "mini periods", where I will bleed for one or two days and then stop, and then have another the following month. However, for 15 days I have been bleeding and discharging (brown, non-smelly). I have been bloated, having headaches, hot sweats - all signs of a period to me, for 15 days. What's happening?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--just to check here do you have any medical conditions? And when was the last time you had a pelvic exam and a PAP smear?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My PAP smear was nearly 18 months ago. I have never had a pelvic exam (don't know what it would be for/what's involved)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Jaz. The pelvic exam usually accompanies the PAP and involves the doctor placing two fingers in the vagina and feeling the uterus and the ovaries with the other hand. These implants can cause irregular and/or prolonged periods but since this started for you over a year after the implantation, it needs to be evaluated. It's possible you have a cervical or vaginal infection, but it's also possible, even with the implant, that you might be pregnant if you've been sexually active. Another possibility could be a thyroid problem as well as ovarian cysts or a cervical polyp. I can't say exactly which of these may be your problem, but you need to see a doctor about it as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are there any other symptoms associated with any of the above that I might have had/should expect in the next few days/weeks? What are the chances of becoming pregnant with Nexplanon?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
The chances aren't high but about 10% of women on that implant do get unexpectedly pregnant. You may get some abdominal or pelvic pain, fatigue and nausea in the next few days. You could also become anemic from the constant bleeding so you really need to see a doctor about all this