Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hey there. For the past 3-4 months I have been having persistent

Hey there.

For the past 3-4 months I have been having persistent acid reflux in my throat, which started out as just difficulty swallowing and a feeling of a lump in my throat, I went to an ENT who diagnosed me with Laryngopharyngeal reflux, said it's one of the worst cases he's ever seen. During that period, I also developed mild abdominal pain and started to expel foul smelling gases (flatulence) and frequent gas build-up (belching) in my throat. it's been 2 months since the problem began to affect my digestive system but now it's affecting most of the things I do.

The symptoms I have now include

-Frequent sharp Pain on left side of chest/ribcage
-Burping/Belching excessively
-Constipation (not going to the toilet for a stool for up to 5 days)
-Lower abdominal pain (sometimes severe)
-Loss of appetite
-Feeling full after only a few bites of food
-Poor quality of sleep
-Muscle/joint pains
-Fatigue
-Nausea (Sometimes severe)
-Hot flashes/sweating
-Pale composure

I am scared that it's stomach cancer, but I have seen that it is quite rare even in adults, so I know the chances are incredibly low, is there anything other than stomach cancer that lasts this long that this could be? I am only 23 and I am terrified.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Hi there.

Still need help on this one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah.

What do you think I should do?

I have been known to suffer from bowel problems in the past as it runs in my family but this has lasted longer than most of my other digestive problems I've had previously. should I be concerned?

Hi Patrick

you absolutely need to see a GI doctor and get a scope

I don't think it is cancer but we need to find out what is going on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am seeing my doctor on Monday. I've been to the out-of-hours GP who told me that he's going to recommend I get referred right away. which means I would need to wait at least a month to see someone on the NHS.

Should I be concerned? What do you think this could be? What are the chances it could be something sinister?

I suspect an ulcer Patrick

I would be concerned about that.

Not cancer though
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are stomach ulcers common in people my age? and are they treatable? I have had a h.pylori stool test which came back negative.

I'm just getting abit scared. I'm only 23 and something like this happens out of nowhere.

Yes, they are common and treatable
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, one last question.

I thought they were caused by h.pylori, but I have had a stool test which came back negative for the infection. could an ulcer still happen?

absolutely

Plus the test is not 100%

you need a scope test with biopsy to be sure you don't have it

and yes they can definitely occur outside of h pylori

common causes are smoking, ibuprofen, alcohol
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alright, so I shouldn't worry about cancer at all? do you not get many stomach cancers in my age?

Okay, that's reassured me a little.

In the meantime is there anything I can do for symptom management whilst I wait for my GI appointment?

No, it's not cancer

virtually impossible at your age.

I would try to avoid food triggers Patrick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How sure are you? as I'm getting all the warning signs of it.

What foods make it worse? I tend to eat alot of pizza and drink alot of soda.

those are two of the most common food. especially tomato sauce

stop those two

I'm 99% sure
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's been 3 months now since the problem began and I am still getting abdominal pain/cramps, my farts smell like processed ham which I read indicates intestinal bleeding and tumors, excessive belching and tiredness. I haven't lost any weight which is reassuring but I do know whatevers happening isn't normal.

I went to the doctor and got a GI appointment and a abdominal ultrasound booked for next week, however the appointment isn't until July. and I feel this problem can't wait that long. any advice you could give me would be great, as I am still dreading it's some form of cancer/tumor.