Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

hi there. ive changed my dentist because i believed my last

hi there. ive changed my dentist because i believed my last one was no good and i had xrays with my new dentist today. im 34 and she tells me i have 2/thirds bone degradation in both upper and lower jaw. she said for someone my age, its as extreme a case as she has seen. she told me that its definitely down to smoking. Now i admit i smoke, maybe 10-12 a day. but i dont always smoke and am always having periods of quitting. i wouldn't say that im a heavy smoker and i'm a reasonably fit guy, with a manual job as well as playing football and cross training. i thought that to put it down to just that, considering its the worst case she has seen for someone my age doesn't really fully explain this as she said my actual dental health is quite good. Then it dawned on me that my half sister has M.S.(had it 20 odd years). pretty sure when i filled the form out, that i missed this. could this be a symptom(or indeed a side effect) of a form of M.S.
or am i just a silly smoker fishing for excuses and just need to accept that you shouldn't smoke. i constantly work 6 days a week and surely with my activities and me not getting any younger, tiredness just comes with it all, no? pretty wild assumption i know, but still - thanks for your time, Jay.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Customer:

hi there

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Jay. I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

I think there are two causes

Dr. Phil, MD :

1)you must have some genetic susceptibility to it. Like weak jaw bones or something like that

Dr. Phil, MD :

2)smoking

Dr. Phil, MD :

So everyone that smokes doesn't get this but in you it causes this severe problem

Dr. Phil, MD :

MS doesn't cause any jaw/bone problems

Customer:

not even by causing trigeminal neuralgia

Dr. Phil, MD :

no

Dr. Phil, MD :

that also doesn't affect bone structure

Customer:

i have a genetic susceptibilty that just means my jaw bone is degrading rapidly, and the rest of my skeleton can take all the impacts of the sports and work i do?

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes sir

Dr. Phil, MD :

for some reason, certain folks have this

Dr. Phil, MD :

I can't explain it

Dr. Phil, MD :

there seems to be some people that are much more susceptible to jaw problems

Customer:

thank you for your time. do you think i should go to hospital for a check up? or just thank my dentist for being a good one!?

Dr. Phil, MD :

It would be reasonable to see an oral surgeon (medical doctor not dentist) for a second opinion just to be sure

Dr. Phil, MD :

something this severe should get a second set of eyes on it Jay

Customer:

thanks for your help doc.

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome Jay

Dr. Phil, MD :

Did I do excellent work for you?

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)