DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

ive been coughing for 3 weeks now and its scary as i cant seem

Customer Question

ive been coughing for 3 weeks now and its scary as i cant seem to get enough breath also lots of yellow mucus of chest after and also a rash and a general feeling of being unwell i havnt had a nights sleep in this time and have to sit up in a chair all night could this be whooping cough i was vacinated as a child could this of worn off i would be grateful of any feedback
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you have been coughing so much.

Dr. David :

you could be coming down with a bronchitis

Dr. David :

or seasonal allergies causing asthma or narrowing of the airways which can cause cough.

Dr. David :

you should see your GP doctor or go to the urgent care center and get a chest xray and pulmonary function test to check for asthma

Dr. David :

do you smoke?

Dr. David :

smoking can cause cough as well.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided so far. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

Shortness of breath after 3 weeks of productive cough is pneumonia until proven otherwise and can be dangerous let go. Atypical pneumonia would not have a fever in some cases.

Go to the ER.

This is not from smoking.

Blood clot is possible.

Heart problems are possible.

Bronchitis is not the only possibility. Don't wait.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].

Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

HI

My edit could not be completed.

As to your question about whooping cough...it is possible.

Not my first choice but could also become dangerous.

Even if this were asthma, which I doubt as an onset at age 69, the shortness of breath indicates immediate need for treatment in any case.

Go to A&E; have someone take you now.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert]. Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].