Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can i spk to A doctor

Customer Question

Can i spk to
A doctor
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
How can we be of assistance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My dad had his surgery to remove colon Tumor.

They said dukes c1 n not gone through bowel . 28 nodes were removed for testing and 10 seemed bit affected .

The did say only the nodes in bowel affected , none of the others

What is the outlook like as I'm very worried

Scans so far show no mets
I'm sorry that your father is going through this.

Any cancer that has already start to spread has a poorer prognosis, but it is good that there is no spread that can be identified beyond the local lymph nodes.

The best that can be said in this situation is the average survival rate, which is usually expressed as the percentage of people that survive 5 years. Of course, this is only meaningful to a population and cannot predict how any single person will respond.

Since it is not predictive for an individual, some doctors and patients do not find this information useful. However, if it would be helpful for you to know this data, the 5 year survival rate for the stage of colon cancer in which it has spread to 10 local lymph nodes is about 45-50%.

If you need any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is a c1 better than a c2?

Is 10 nodes alot ? They did say its good that no nodes above were affected .... What did they mean by this !

The earlier ct scan stated small volume nodes seen keeping in line with tumor so was surprised 10 were affected
The difference between a C1 and a C2 is whether the tumour has penetrated through the muscle layer of the wall of the colon, and while it is generally better that the cancer has not penetrated through the muscle, it is less important when there is lymph node involvement, since the lymph node involvement proves that the tumour has gotten beyond the colon.

10 nodes is enough to cause a poorer prognosis. If lymph nodes are involved, the best prognosis would be if there were ≤ 3 nodes involved. If lymph nodes are involved, it also would be more of a concern if lymph nodes that are more distant are involved, which is why they comment on the relative location of the lymph nodes that are involved.

CT scans provide much information, but lymph node dissection and pathologic examination is the only way to find whether lymph nodes are involved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem
Is 2 weeks post operation he got problems eating . Cannot seem to eat as food tastes off to him, bloated n burping .

A ct of andomen - showed no
Obstruction or blockage but showed fluid in andomen - they put ng tube but nothing came out do removed it.

So issue is he not eating and lost over a stone in weight . He due chemo in 4/5 weeks so
Don't know how hel b fit for that
That is more likely a reaction to the surgery, rather than due to the cancer, itself. Colon cancer that has only spread to the local lymph nodes would typically not cause problems eating. Some people take longer to recover from surgery than others. His surgeon will need to monitor his progress in recovery to decide whether he would be safe to proceed with surgery.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He's already had surgery . Luckily all waz fine as no obstruction , no leak etc. but he just cant seem to eat . As he lost wright lots we concerned if hel b fit for chemo .

What can fluid in abdomen be ? Bile?
I understand that he had surgery. That is why I said that this is likely a non-specific response to surgery. Whenever, surgery is done on the gut, it may take a while for the function of the gut to return to normal, and this is true regardless of the underlying condition that required surgery.

It is common for fluid to be present after surgery, usually either from irrigation fluid used during surgery, minor bleeding at the surgery site, or seeping of fluid. As long as the fluid is a small volume, it is not worrisome.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What about mets ? Can they appear ? The ct scan post op was clear but the ct of chest as last done in jan .

Do the cancer cells from primary tumor sneak out and float around I'm
Body with everyone ?

I'm Worried re mets
It is always possible that there are metastases that are too small to be seen by an imaging study, but we can only use what information is available and the chemo will provide systemic treatment which will include any potentially small metastases that cannot be detected. The possibility of these metastases is included in the 5 year survival data noted above.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can a pet scan detect then
Or can
Anything cuz then we can ask for 1 to be done ? Shud we request further scans In a few weeks ?
You can ask the doctor whether it will change the treatment plan, but they will likely plan to do the same chemo at this point since the lymph nodes are positive. There is usually no value in repeating scan every few weeks for the next five years.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How often should scans b done ?

Would you recommend chemo ?

So chemo
Would kill off any remaining cells in body ?
Scans will be determined according to the progress with treatment. Chemo is intended to help kill any residual cancer and would be necessary to achieve the 5 year survival rate noted above, but it obviously only works some of the time. If it worked all the time, then survival would be 100% and if it worked none of the time, survival would be 0%.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So it's like a 50/50 situation right ?
But not all ppl have cells left in the body right ?
I have already given you the survival data. It is impossible to know what is happening at the cellular level, but it is presumed that most people that has some identified spread have some cells that cannot be detected.

You have been asking far more questions than is usually intended for the small reimbursement that you offered for this question. If you are only willing to provide a small reimbursement, then you should be posting these questions separately.