Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I am suffering from and embarrassing and

I am suffering from chronic and embarrassing flatulence and taking the following medication. Atenolol 25mg...Pravastatin 20mg Aspirin 75mg and Ramipril 1.25mg. Can you advise over the counter medication to tackle the flatulence problem
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your embarrasement due to flatulence.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

The gas which expels out from anus sometimes,produces foul odor due to the presence of skatole,indole and sulfur. These substances are the by-products of meat intake and digestion process.

A common cause of flatulence is feeble secretion of stomach acid which leads to the improper digestion of foods.

To get relief from flatulence problem,following is recommended to you:

-Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.

-Take activated charcoal tablets, such as Charco Caps.They can be purchased over the counter.It is the fastest way to cure stomach bloating.The problem of excess gas resolves with use of activated charcoal tablets.

-To prevent gas avoid taking fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.

Both these medications are available as over the counter(OTC) without a prescription & will help you greatly.

Continue to take your other medications as prescribed.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert