Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My partner(57 yrs) is on Sertraline medication 100mg which

My partner(57 yrs) is on Sertraline medication 100mg which leaves him impotent. He's been on several other tablets over the past 10 years and has had the problem for most of that time. We have asked questions of our own doctor and other medical professionals he has come into contact with but cannot seem to get any help with this problem. It is causing mental health issues because of how important it is to him which is very unhelpful to promoting his good health. Really appreciate your help.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your partner's impotency. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

Sertraline belongs to a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).It is associated with sexual side effects, including sexual arousal disorder and difficulty achieving orgasm.

Erectile dysfunction & sexual arousal disorder are common side effect of Sertraline.

Other possible causes of impotency are:ageing,diabetes,hypertension (high blood pressure),cardiovascular diseases,cigarette smoking,low testosterone levels,depression and anxiety.

Stress,depression & anxiety is one of the most common cause of impotency/erectile dysfunction.

Following is recommended for you:

-Under the supervision of your doctor,it may be possible to lower your partner's dosage of Sertraline enough to reduce sexual side effects while still obtaining depression relief.

-Switching to another anti depressant that may cause fewer side effect.

-He may be prescribed with oral medications like Sildenafil (Viagra),Tadalafil (Cialis).

So I advise for your partner to make an appointment with a urologist for the prescription of these medications accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert