Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have a problem that every time I touch or lift anything with

I have a problem that every time I touch or lift anything with my right hand it shakes badly.At all other times there is no shaking.Would treatment help?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Since how long you have this symptom of shaking/tremors?
Any tests done so far?
Do you have any known medical illness?

I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It started over 20 years ago when my hand shook for the first time as I was signing a form.It has got steadily worse since.No known medical illnesses.

Dear customer,

Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The right hand shaking or tremors you are having can be due to various causes.Tremor is generally caused by problems in parts of the brain that control muscles of the hands.

Its most common causes are:Parkinson's disease,Multiple sclerosis, degenerative brain disorder,alcohol withdrawal, thyroid disorders,stroke,stress,fatigue, anxiety,depression,certain neuropathies. You may need following tests:

-Electromyography(EMG) and nerve conduction studies

-Certain blood tests,

-Electro physiological studies,MRI scan of head

-Hormonal testing

A tremor that does not go away over time may be a sign of a medical problem and should be checked by your health care provider.

Yes,treatment will definitely help.Lifestyle changes, such as reducing stress and avoiding caffeine and alcohol, may improve symptoms.Symptomatic drug therapy is available for several types of tremor.

As this started over 20 years ago & gets steadily worse since,so I advise you to make an appointment with your neurologist to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly to that cause.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know of anyone in the Brighton,Sussex area who could help me?

Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.

You can make an appointment with following doctor:

Dr Norman Kock,Consultant Neurologist. He is specialized for hand shakes & tremors.

Royal Sussex County Hospital
Eastern Road
Brighton
BN2 5BE

01273 696955

Please do not forget to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert