Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hello. For about the past 6 months I have had loose stools.

Customer Question

Hello. For about the past 6 months I have had loose stools. Not sure if I could could call it diarreha as I only pass stools about twice a day but they are never solid and always quite runny and gloopy. Anyway not sure if this is related but this morning I woke up with a sore anus. I have a lump just outside my anus which is very sore and painful. It swollen but doesn't look red more of a greyish colour is the only way to describe it. It's slightly bigger than a pea. What could it be?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Any history of blood in stool?
Any unintentional loss of weight?
Have you underwent any tests so far?

I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. No blood in stools and no unintentional weight loss only through starting new job. No tests so far
Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to the sore & painful lump.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

The painful & sore lump you are having outside the anus is most probably due to a condition called hemorrhoids.

Hemorrhoids are swollen, inflamed veins around the anus or lower rectum.Too much pressure on the veins in the pelvic and rectal area causes hemorrhoids.

As you had a history of loose stools since last 6 months-runny and gloopy,this causes extra pressure on the veins of anus resulting in inflammation of veins & hence it appears as lump.

The treatment of hemmorhoids includes local anesthetics like Benzocaine 5% to 20% (Americaine Hemorrhoidal),applying vasoconstrictors like Ephedrine sulfate 0.1% to 1.25%.These make the blood vessels become smaller, which may reduce swelling.These available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

If still your symptoms persists then you need to consult your doctor for rectal examination & anoscopy.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that I advise you to apply cream Benzocaine 5% to 20% (Americaine Hemorrhoidal).It will help you greatly to provide pain relief & reduce the soreness.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Do you think it's very likely to be a hemmorrhoid. I'm worried it could be an anal absecess? How can you tell the difference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I will try to address your remaining concerns. As per your description it sounds like haemorrhoid. Abscess is accompanied by high grade fever and the pain is supposed to be severe and excruciating in this area. If you can push that lump towards anus then it is haemorrhoid but if touching it causes a very severe pain then it can be abscess. I hope you got my point. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so Evan though it is really quite sore and painful it's not excruciating it's more likely to be a hemmorrhoid?
If it is an absecess is that easily treated? As I've heard some horror stories? I've got some hemmorrhoid cream would you recommend applying that and to see if the lump and soreness goes down? And then if it doesn't work to visit a doctor?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your input. Yes i don't think that it is abscess. Abscess can't stay this much long without spreading further. Yes it is more likely to be external haemorrhoid. Yes you can apply that haemorrhoid cream over it but since it is external haemorrhoid ( most likely as per description), you should visit your doctor and should get it examined because only examination can lead to the exact diagnosis. Along with the cream, use over the counter metamucil twice daily and use psyllium husk too. The aim for using the above two is to increase fibre in your diet. Over the counter tab aleve twice daily can help you with pain. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Regards