DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My fiance has had the toothache from all week. When he

My fiance has had the toothache from hell all week. When he went to the dentist yesterday it turned out he had an abscess and a hole in the tooth, the dentist said he mustve been in absolute agony!

At the dentist he got it drained & was given antibiotics and a filling. The whole inside of his tooth was scraped out. The whole side of his face is still in crippling agony a day after treatment, nothing has changed. Strong Pain killers dont really work either, is it normal to still be in so much pain after root canal treatment? And after having both an abscess & hole in the tooth?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Is there swelling or redness anywhere?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, theres just a bit of redness on his cheeks but I think its only from heat of the room. He says the pain's down the right side of his face and throat.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
Secondary infection is possible.
It is not normal for this to continue.
He should have an exam of the pain areas at this point.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The pain is unbearable at times, could it just be to do with the infection still being there too? hes been given a 5 day course of anti biotics and is on day 2. Is it still maybe too soon for the pain to subside?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes, but that is still secondary, or even resistant infection.

He should be feeling better after 2 days.
If he is not better on day 3, there is a problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wasn't sure if this was all normal. Im really grateful for all your help and answers and its great to get a Doctor's opinion but would I be able to speak to a dentist on this site please?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
There is no dentist on currently.

In fact this is a typical situation, and the pain from this procedure [which I am quite familiar with from my patients] is often fairly severe for up to two days.

But

If it is breaking through the pain medications beyond that period of time...there can be a problem, which is additional infection usually.

Once again, you have just ground out a nerve...this can cause severe pain once the anesthetic wears off, but since the nerve is gone....the surrounding sensory nerves should recover quickly.

If not, then additional infection is usually the problem.

If you would like to wait for a dentist, I can in no way say how long that is going to be. Meanwhile, I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you click a positive rating.