Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

infections

Customer Question

Last year I was in hospital with osteomyelitus in my foot from having bone surgery for a brake and then I got MSSA in my blood which I took antibiotics intermittenly for and now I again have pain in my feet and up one leg and feel generally unwell with temperature on and off and now my mouth has started to get bad in that I had yellow puss coming from my gum and white patch and really bad pain across my cheek and ear and neck and my glands are swollen and my teeth feel loose and I have never had problems with my teeth, I went to hospital a few weeks ago where they said my wbc was normal, how quick can it change and the puss in my mouth comes and goes

Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
A dental infection (abscess, gum infection etc) can develop rather quickly. A normal WBC does not exclude an infection (although with serious infection it is often increased). If repeated now, it is likely that the WBC would be higher than it was when checked several weeks ago (if you did not have the infection then).

At this point, your best option would be to see a dentist, rather than your GP or the hospital.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have again had my wbc tested and it was normal and I feel like people are just thinking this is some kind of depression or anxiety which I do suffer from but the pain was so bad last night that I took an overdose of codeine and has just made me feel worse, one doctor said there was an abscess and the next said I looked like I had a red throat and did not know, I will make a dentist appointment although I went there about a month ago for a check up and at that time they said my mouth had no problems, can something in the mouth come up that quick? I feel like I have pressure behind my eye too which is making feel like its drooping although it does not look like that?

Yes - a dental infection (abscess) can develop rather quickly.