Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

hi i had a lump on my gum around a tooth that was broken for

Customer Question

hi i had a lump on my gum around a tooth that was broken for about v3 years i was given amoxicillin for to remove infection before the tooth could be extracted the tooth was then extractrd and i was told the lump woukd go down however it hasnt and there is no pain just a purple gray soft flesh lump and bright red on gum outside nearest cheek please could you tell me what this is as im worried it may be cancer because if it didnt go i have to have biopsy
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
This is not a typical presentation of can cancer, and the dentist can rule this out.

In fact, if it is a hard lump, it can simply be exostosis, or a proliferation of bone, which is common, and harmless in this situation.

Cancer would be very unlikely.

Simply go let your doctor look at it.

I don't think you will need a biopsy.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the lump is not hard i have pierced it and theres no puss only blood comes out tthe dentist told me before he extracted the tooth that i have a gum infection the lump is soft and fleshy

Very likely a cyst at this point.
If the dentist is concerned, a biopsy is simple.
IT still does not sound like cancer, but rather a pocket that has not healed properly.

Another option about this is to see an oral surgeon to fix it once ant for all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

but the lump was already around the broken tooth before it was extracted so how could it be a unhealed pocket ?

Because the tooth was damaged, and the gum could have had that problem.

What is odd in your post is that your dentist apparently does not think this is a big problem, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its been a month since the tooth taken out my dentist said that this would go down once the tooths gone unfortunatly im away at the moment so havent been able to go to my dentist but the lump is still there

OK
I have seen them take 6 months to clear up.
Go back to your dentist and let him look at it.
He clearly did not think it was cancer.
I think that is anxiety on your part, so I would not worry.